• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardian at Lietem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

againstthewall

What is the name of your state? Wahington.

I had asked this question before as to how my wife would go about getting a Gaurdian at Lietem. I was told that she would have to ask the courts to appoint one. Is there some type of form she needs to fil out to do this?and if so, where would she find it?...if not, then how do you go about asking the court to appoint a GAL?.

Thanks

JETX

againstthewall said:
I had asked this question before as to how my wife would go about getting a Gaurdian at Lietem. I was told that she would have to ask the courts to appoint one. Is there some type of form she needs to fil out to do this?and if so, where would she find it?...if not, then how do you go about asking the court to appoint a GAL?.
Why do you feel that she qualifies for an appointed 'guardian ad litem'???

guardian ad litem
n. a person appointed by the court only to take legal action on behalf of a minor or an adult not able to handle his/her own affairs. Duties may include filing a lawsuit for an injured child, defending a lawsuit or filing a claim against an estate. Usually a parent will file a petition to be appointed the guardian ad litem of a child hurt in an accident at the same time the lawsuit is filed.

againstthewall

Well in a round-about way, thats why I'm asking. Correct me if I'm wrong , but I believe she qualifies for the simple fact that the ex-husband DEMANDS his visitation, EVEN if the kids don't want to see him becuase of his abusive nature. He has threatened to take her to court several times and and get full custody of the kids. She needs "ammo" to fight this. She has also been advised by her councelor to aquire a GAL.

So I'm asking on her behalf, what steps she needs to take to do just that.

Thanks

JETX

againstthewall said:
Well in a round-about way, thats why I'm asking. Correct me if I'm wrong , but I believe she qualifies for the simple fact that the ex-husband DEMANDS his visitation, EVEN if the kids don't want to see him becuase of his abusive nature. He has threatened to take her to court several times and and get full custody of the kids. She needs "ammo" to fight this. She has also been advised by her councelor to aquire a GAL.
There is nothing in your post that would indicate your WIFE would be eligible for an appointed 'guardian at litem'. Simply, if needed, she needs to go out and hire an attorney.
If the court deems it needed, the court might appoint a 'guardian ad litem' to represent the childrens interest in the matter.... but not hers.

casa

againstthewall said:

So I'm asking on her behalf, what steps she needs to take to do just that.

Thanks
The deal here is likely that the counselor thinks the CHILDREN need to be appointed a GAL. GALs are often assigned to children by either a judge's order or a parent's request to the court. The GAL will check into both homes and parents and decide what custody and/or visitation is best suited for the children.

Your wife has to allow Dad his RIGHT of court ordered visitation. The fact that a child does not 'want' to go, will not hold up in court. If the mother is seeing a counselor, are the children also? It will hold more weight in court if the CHILDREN are seeing a counselor and the counselor feels that for some reason the children should not be around the father.

The mother can petition the courts to modify her visitation schedule and at the hearing request the judge assign a GAL. She has to be prepared to pay for the services of the GAL and cooperate in all the investigation AND follow the current court order until and unless the order is changed based on the GALs findings and a judges order.

againstthewall

Thanks Casa for the info

JETX:...I KNOW that it is the kids that need a GAL. ALL I want to know is the STEP-BY_STEP procedure for getting the GAL.

I DO NOT want to be questioned any more about my wife's eligibilty.....I think we are ALL aware of the fact that it is indeed the kids I'm talking about. :mad:

NOW..with that said, will someone PLEASE answer my question?

BelizeBreeze

againstthewall said:
Thanks Casa for the info

JETX:...I KNOW that it is the kids that need a GAL. ALL I want to know is the STEP-BY_STEP procedure for getting the GAL.

I DO NOT want to be questioned any more about my wife's eligibilty.....I think we are ALL aware of the fact that it is indeed the kids I'm talking about. :mad:

And your attitude is why I won't be answering.
Based solely on your post, the father has every right to DEMAND his visitation. PERIOD.

rmet4nzkx

againstthewall said:
Thanks Casa for the info

AHhhhhh,
Why don't you do a search on the net, type in your state name, and the other search terms, hit return...........

casa

againstthewall said:
Thanks Casa for the info

Asked and answered. She needs to go to court, file modification of custody &/or visitation based on her belief the father is abusive and the children are afraid of him. Ask the judge to assign a GAL to represent the children's interests.

Be willing to pay at least part of the cost of the GAL. Bring any documents you have. ie; police reports, threatening letters, counselor's reports if they are related to the children's behavior/state of mind towards the father.

againstthewall

Belizebreeze:....That reply was not intended for you, it was directed at JETX:....and there is nothing wrong with my attitude, I'm just tired of getting the run-around when all I asked was a simple question. For those that don't wish to answer it, then that indicates that they DON'T know the answer.

rmet4nzkx

againstthewall said:
Belizebreeze:....That reply was not intended for you, it was directed at JETX:....and there is nothing wrong with my attitude, I'm just tired of getting the run-around when all I asked was a simple question. For those that don't wish to answer it, then that indicates that they DON'T know the answer.
I gave you the answer but am not going to do your homework for you and I know how much it costs. It took a lot more work to join this forum to ask the question than to look it up in the phone book or on the net. You do have an attitude and that is why you are getting frustrated. I'll bet you attitude has more to do with the friction between the parents and the children's relationships than the father exercising his right to visitation without interference. Interference with visitation is BTW, contempt of court. The fact that you are too lazy to search for your own answer or call the court indicates that you are controlling!

againstthewall

I'll tell you something pal, until you've walked a mile in my shoes....I suggest you keep your trap shut!

NOW......I will not ask any more......HAPPY?

casa

againstthewall said:
actually you managed to irk 2 of the people on this board that probably know the most about the situation. :rolleyes:

rmet4nzkx

againstthewall said:
I'll tell you something pal, until you've walked a mile in my shoes....I suggest you keep your trap shut!

NOW......I will not ask any more......HAPPY?
The purpose of the GAL is to represent the best interest of the children, not to provide your wife with "ammo" to fight him from his lawful visitation. You need to understand that in asking the court to assign a GAL that your wife will have to abide by the courts orders even if you or she don't like the result. And you will have to pay big bucks for the priviledge! No doubt, the counselor sees their reccommendation as a way to spare the children from the stress you are in part creating. Your attempts to allienate the children from their father will backfire on you and you need to know that. Your wife could in fact lose custody because you are seen as abusive.

Ordering a stranger giving you assistance, to "Shut UP!" is abusive and just plain, rude. Now, do the search like a nice boy and get the information for your county. I hope the courts rule for the best interest of the children.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Actually, several people HAVE answered the question several times - here and on one of your other threads. Noone is going to give you a step-by-step rendition of how to do it. You may get information or pointers, but noone is going to do the work for you. So the choice is that Mom & you can do the research yourselves, or pay an attorney to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">