• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship of a Minor in MA:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Allastaire

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts.

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to put this, but if it isn't, you're more than welcomed to move it.

I'm not going to get into the history, or reasons why I want to, but I was wondering how I'd be able to recommend a guardian for myself. I have done research, gotten forms, ect. The only thing that I'm really unsure about is the "surety," and, if this is a separate thing, is that I own a bank account (my father is the co-signer) with more than $100, would I still be able to pursue getting a guardian? Or are they specifially only talking about real estate and property?

Thank you in advance, I greatly, greatly appreciate it. Please be gentle ;)

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts.

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to put this, but if it isn't, you're more than welcomed to move it.

I'm not going to get into the history, or reasons why I want to, but I was wondering how I'd be able to recommend a guardian for myself. I have done research, gotten forms, ect. The only thing that I'm really unsure about is the "surety," and, if this is a separate thing, is that I own a bank account (my father is the co-signer) with more than $100, would I still be able to pursue getting a guardian? Or are they specifially only talking about real estate and property?

Thank you in advance, I greatly, greatly appreciate it. Please be gentle ;)
How old are you?

Allastaire

Here my out: Every court site, every help site, ect, have said the same things. A minor 14 years or older may nominate a guardian, or a nonrelative (or.. well, even a relative for that matter) may nominate a guardian for that child.

Just Blue

Here my out: Every court site, every help site, ect, have said the same things. A minor 14 years or older may nominate a guardian, or a nonrelative (or.. well, even a relative for that matter) may nominate a guardian for that child.
In what circumstance? What is your circumstance? Please post the statute you are referring to.

Allastaire

Well, to sum it up, my father is abusive. It's been getting progressively worse as time goes on. He's been hitting me more often and worse, he's been choking me and throwing me down the stairs. Calling me a "cu--," "little bit--," "piece of sh--," to name a few. He spits on me, tells me I'm not good enough and that I'll never amount to anything. He's hit my mother, and I'm afraid that he'll begin hitting me to that extend. My mother passed away in 2005. He's locked out my half-siblings when they were toddlers in the snow, and has hit my half-sister (not his child). There's so much more that I can't possibly write down without taking most of the page up. The hitting is all different, and most of it is scaring me. He's threatened me if I tell someone about what he does to me. Right now he has stopped talking to me, but before he decided to ignore my existence, he told me he doesn't love me, doesn't want me, and that he doesn't care what happens to me. He told me I could leave the house whenever I want, but that he'd call the police and tell them I'm running away. He's done it before. He's beat me in front of my friend. She was terrified, I felt helpless just watching my friend cry because she's watching her friend get hit and thrown down the stairs. My dad has locked our dog in the cage and threw the cage whilst she was in it from the kitchen to the living room. He kicks her in the neck. It's just.. it scares me. I'm afraid for my life when he's angry. He just shuts off- he isn't him.

If I go into another home, I'll be safe. He won't touch me, he won't hurt me. A lot of my friends have told me to try to get emancipated, but frankly, I know that I won't be able to go along with it. Being emancipated is too much. I'd rather just have a family that loves me and cares about me. That will understand that if they throw me down to the ground, and my leg hits something metal, it hurts, and that when I cry when it hurts, I'm not faking, and they won't call me pathetic after they hit me. Well, they won't hit me, but you get the point. It's just unhealthy, and I'm scared to go home.

I mean, I can always get the guardian I wanted to nominate, nominate themselves. I do have proof of my father hitting me, though not as much as I'd like.

The Massachusetts Court System

On that site, if you go to Probate & Family Court forms, on the petition it'll say that the minor can petition themselves & nominate a guardian.

And pretty much any resourceful site for Massachusetts Probate & Family court will say that a child 14 years or older may petition, someone else may petition, and a parent may petition.

I just want to thank you for helping me, honestly. A lot of people will automatically shoot down a sixteen year old girl trying to get away from her father, saying that "fighting is fighting," but my father is dangerous. I'm not saying this lightly. Please just assist me as much as you can. I know that it's probably asking a lot, and you have other things to do than help a strange teenager, but I appreciate it with all of my heart. I'm serious about what I want to do.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">