• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gun Regulations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abstract99

What is the name of your state? My children are in Arizona.
I have a question about gun regulations.
My ex's new husband own a large amount of guns. I have heard from the children and mutual friends that he leaves them around the house where the children can get ahold of them. The children have told me that the Step-Dad takes them out in the desert and allows them to fire these guns. I do not want my children to be touching these guns at all. Now I know that some people might come on here and post that there is nothing wrong with a child knowing how to work a gun and I agree that it would be nice if the house was ever robbed. My problem is that I simply don't want it. I don't want to risk my children shooting themselves. Is there anything that I can do to keep the children away from the guns and the guns out of the house. I feel that they should be kept in a gun safe in a storage shed outside. The step-dad is in the military. Security forces on base allows you to store your guns there so this might be another good option. I have been told that (and my wife has seen) both my ex and her husband answer the door witha gun in their hand held down by their side. this is also something that fritens me. I don't want my children to see this and think that it is the right thing to do. I am worried that the kids will take their example and when they get older answer the door in the same way and maybe shoot somebody. What can I do? my children are 8 and 10 but the step-dad has been allowing them to shoot the guns since they were 5 and 7.

casa

newguyhere said:
What is the name of your state? My children are in Arizona.
I have a question about gun regulations.
My ex's new husband own a large amount of guns. I have heard from the children and mutual friends that he leaves them around the house where the children can get ahold of them. The children have told me that the Step-Dad takes them out in the desert and allows them to fire these guns. I do not want my children to be touching these guns at all. Now I know that some people might come on here and post that there is nothing wrong with a child knowing how to work a gun and I agree that it would be nice if the house was ever robbed. My problem is that I simply don't want it. I don't want to risk my children shooting themselves. Is there anything that I can do to keep the children away from the guns and the guns out of the house. I feel that they should be kept in a gun safe in a storage shed outside. The step-dad is in the military. Security forces on base allows you to store your guns there so this might be another good option. I have been told that (and my wife has seen) both my ex and her husband answer the door witha gun in their hand held down by their side. this is also something that fritens me. I don't want my children to see this and think that it is the right thing to do. I am worried that the kids will take their example and when they get older answer the door in the same way and maybe shoot somebody. What can I do? my children are 8 and 10 but the step-dad has been allowing them to shoot the guns since they were 5 and 7.
Depending on where they are in AZ, it might be legal as long as the guns are in plain sight and not concealed. Where is the stepdad stationed?

Also, do you have proof the stepdad is not storing the guns in a gun safe or the like?

Final question: It's been 3 years you've known of this happening and you are 'suddenly' concerned? Why is that?

PS I am not a gun proponent by any means- but these are things you need to ask yourself, since the court will follow the laws as appropriate.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Likely the most you'll be able to do is have them required to store the guns appriopriately (i.e. gun cabinet). However, she is allowed to choose activities on her parenting time, and those can include learning to shoot, etc. What you MAY consider doing, when you have the kids with you, is to take them to a local gun club and have them take a safety course. Most clubs are more than happy to help kids learn gun safety.

A

absconder

Bad gun

This is AZ your talking about. Its the only state where people still carry sidearms legally.GOOD LUCK!!

casa

absconder said:
This is AZ your talking about. Its the only state where people still carry sidearms legally.GOOD LUCK!!
That was one of my points...been there, done that in AZ :cool:

abstract99

Depending on where they are in AZ, it might be legal as long as the guns are in plain sight and not concealed. He puts them in his couch cusions and in drawyers in the kitchen. He has even admitted this to me.

Where is the stepdad stationed? Davis Monthan

Also, do you have proof the stepdad is not storing the guns in a gun safe or the like? From many people including him and my ex as well as my wife who had the unfortunate experience of my ex answering the door with a gun in her hand.

Final question: It's been 3 years you've known of this happening and you are 'suddenly' concerned? Why is that? I have been concerned. I did not find out about this untill recently.

I am aware that the mother may do anything she wants during her time but is there any limits to this? The children don't even wear hearing protection while they use the guns. Also the mother is not there when they are firing the guns. It is the step-dad that is there.

rmet4nzkx

Contact one of these numbers, tell them you are worried re access to loaded guns by children and no ear protection:
Child Abuse Hotline 1-888-767-2445
Child Care Assistance 1-800-308-9000

Child Help Desk 1-888-595-1583

Child Protective Services (CPS) 1-888-767-2445

Child Protective Services (CPS) Client Advocate Hotline 1-877-527-0165

Child Welfare/Family Advocacy 1-877-527-0765
You can also contact the base if they live on base.

abstract99

rmet4nzkx said:
Contact one of these numbers, tell them you are worried re access to loaded guns by children and no ear protection:
Child Abuse Hotline 1-888-767-2445
Child Care Assistance 1-800-308-9000

Child Help Desk 1-888-595-1583

Child Protective Services (CPS) 1-888-767-2445

Child Protective Services (CPS) Client Advocate Hotline 1-877-527-0165

Child Welfare/Family Advocacy 1-877-527-0765
You can also contact the base if they live on base.

I already called CPS ANS CAH, they both told me the same thing. They could investigate it if I wanted them to but in situations like this there are usually a lot of lies being told by the "gun owning party" and they cannot search the house. They cannot follow them around and wait for them to do it either. I am kinda wondering what I can do through the courts to keep the loaded guns out of the house and at least make sure that the children are being properly protected when they go out with the guns. I am also a little concerned that my ex answered the door with a gun in her hand when it was only my wife standing on the other side. She knew that my wife was coming over to drop off a school book that was left at my house by my daughter.

abstract99

The rectangle shaped bruises that I have seen on my 8 year old sons sholder can now be explained by the shooting of a shotgun. I have asked him where he got them and he always tells me he can't remember.

cjarr

absconder said:

AZ.....the only state where it's legal?????

Not by a long shot....numerous states now have concealed weapon laws that permit people to carry them.

casa

cjarr said:
AZ.....the only state where it's legal?????

Not by a long shot....numerous states now have concealed weapon laws that permit people to carry them.
I think what absconder meant was that in parts of AZ it's still legal to walk around with a gun unconcealed. Literally on your hip. My X husband was military and we lived in AZ for a time, and I was completely surprised when I saw it. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">