• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had sole custody of children, father petitioned for joint custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelbaby3969

Ten years ago, I was awarded sole custody of my minor children, who were under two years of age. The court had later denied my ex-husband further contact with the children after a conviction of child molestation in 1992. Since then he has petitioned the court for a modification of the divorce decision, in which he filed under the divorce case, and not under the case which denied him further visitation, and then had hired a second attorney to act as a "guardian ad litem" for the children's best intrests, who basically works on his best intrests, and not those of the children, one who had not seen his father in over 8 years, and is currently 10 years old. The court had decided to give each of us custody of one child, each having physical placement, because the guardian said his conviction no longer has bearing to the matter, because he is now "cured". I think they are putting my daughter at risk. Would any of you appeal this to the Supreme court of the State?? He is also in violation of the current court order, is not employed and has no means to support the child living with him. I, the mother of the children, have never been in trouble in my life, and this occured after our divorce. He also claims that his new wife is a child care expert, but I have the child's school calling me about signs of neglect. What do all of you think?? I have found out that had a guardian ad litem been appointed for the children by the courts, someone from the child protection agency that had him convicted in the criminal matter would have been appointed, and I think that they have been trying to avoid the judge that removed his right to have contact with his children, and the child welfare system. I think that something further could be done, but noone care to listen to me. This matter has been in the courts for three years, and he was still serving his sentence until 1999. What can I do here??

N

nice mom

Do you have a lawyer? If you don't, get one. I would go try to change custody. File, get a attorney. Do what ever it takes. But change it anyhow you can.

A

angelbaby3969

I had an attorney, who was off the case the minute that a decision was made and the order entered. Most of the matter was decided between the guardian and my ex-husbands attorney, who would draw up decisions, and present them to the judge for a signature. The guardian spoke to me twice in three years, and my attorney ( who worked for the state legal services department), felt that we were fighting a losing battle, as nothing we presented to the matter was actually been heard, read or otherwise was objected to by my ex-husbands attorney, like the evidence of his criminal conviction, and reports from the sex offender program. My kids have fell through the cracks. The only thing that seems to matter to the guardian is that my new spouse of seven years is in the military active duty, and thinks we move to much to provide a stable environment, well, it is more stable than what he can give the children. I have also been caught in situations where the order states that the ex is responsible for my son to travel to see him, and I always get caught having to pay the bills there, he will call the day the child is to be returned to me and tell me he cannot afford the plane ticket, and I have to buy it if I want the child back. The children are being used as pawns in a game. This is a sad situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">