• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Half-sibling vs. Step-sibling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ME

I'm curious which would be a stronger case, the father (NCP) wanting more time with our 2 children so that they have more time with their step-sister, or the mother (CP) wanting to keep the same schedule they have now, keeping the relationship strong between the 2 children and their half-brother? My ex (NCP) also lives 4 hours away, and is not married yet (happening this summer). I have been remarried for 4 years, and the half-brother is 6 months old. The 2 children in question are 5 and 7, and they are both very active with their half-brother. They go EOW with their father, plus alternating holidays and school vacations, plus 4 weeks in the summer, it has been like this for the past 5 years.

casa

angeleyzad said:

I'm curious which would be a stronger case, the father (NCP) wanting more time with our 2 children so that they have more time with their step-sister, or the mother (CP) wanting to keep the same schedule they have now, keeping the relationship strong between the 2 children and their half-brother? My ex (NCP) also lives 4 hours away, and is not married yet (happening this summer). I have been remarried for 4 years, and the half-brother is 6 months old. The 2 children in question are 5 and 7, and they are both very active with their half-brother. They go EOW with their father, plus alternating holidays and school vacations, plus 4 weeks in the summer, it has been like this for the past 5 years.
Neither. The CP has the advantage because #1 The children live with them, #2 "Status Quo" (meaning courts are loathe to change an existing court order without a significant change of circumstance), and #3 The 8 hour round trip for visitations leaves little room for mid-week visits/time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
angeleyzad said:

There is so much more to this than just that as per your other posts on this list. Hence you are not going to get a different answer. Relationships with others matter be it by marriage or blood.

Ohiogal said:
There is so much more to this than just that as per your other posts on this list. Hence you are not going to get a different answer. Relationships with others matter be it by marriage or blood.

I know there are many issues that we are dealing with - this is a new one that came up. EX wants to have our sons more to strengthen the bond with their soon-to-be step-sister. Our boys already have a strong bond with their half-brother. Even a weekend away from him, and they are all over him when they get home. I know it will be difficult for them when they go for 2 weeks in the summer, but that is something that they will have to deal with.

I know that summer vacation time is the big question with us, one of the points he has made to me is for the boys to be with their step-sister. I was just curious, though, if a judge would look at a step-sibling different than a half-sibling. Everyone always says that the step family does not matter legally, so I thought it was a valid question, that's all.

CJane

angeleyzad said:
I know there are many issues that we are dealing with - this is a new one that came up. EX wants to have our sons more to strengthen the bond with their soon-to-be step-sister. Our boys already have a strong bond with their half-brother. Even a weekend away from him, and they are all over him when they get home. I know it will be difficult for them when they go for 2 weeks in the summer, but that is something that they will have to deal with.

I know that summer vacation time is the big question with us, one of the points he has made to me is for the boys to be with their step-sister. I was just curious, though, if a judge would look at a step-sibling different than a half-sibling. Everyone always says that the step family does not matter legally, so I thought it was a valid question, that's all.
It's a valid question. But it doesn't change the fact that with that sort of distance, 6 weeks in the summer is perfectly normal. The judge isn't likely to take either sib into account when deciding that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">