• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dad15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in NJ. I am the father of an 11 month old son that lives with his mother. I am not sure if this would qualify under this forum and I placed it in domestic violence as well, but I thought I might ask here anyway. Here is some background so you understand where my quesiton is coming from. I have a settlement in place where my child's mother (my ex-girlfriend...we were never married) is my son's primary parent and I am his secondary parent. In the settlement it states that we are not allowed to speak unless the subject is our son. My son's mother began texting me regarding our breakup and my new girlfriend. The texts with her became an argument and she told me that she was going to call the police unless i stopped responding to her. I did and she continued to text me for about 5 more messages. When i responded for her to stop she then said she was calling the police. If she called the police would I be notified and/or how could i find out if she did.

I know this may sound un-important to some people but I am not familiar with these issues so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

CJane

Ummm... in the future, don't talk to her. Don't respond to her texts. Be a grown-up.

If it's JUST a custody order that says you're not supposed to talk to each other, the cops likely won't do anything. If it's a RESTRAINING ORDER, you'll be arrested.

You are both in contempt for talking about another topic other than your son. Like the pp mentioned, if it is just in the custody order, there isn't much she can do except file for contempt (which she is guilty of as well).

Do not erase these texts, and also get copies of your phone records showing the times and dates of the texts. Hold onto these, you may need proof later on.

sipa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in NJ. I am the father of an 11 month old son that lives with his mother. I am not sure if this would qualify under this forum and I placed it in domestic violence as well, but I thought I might ask here anyway. Here is some background so you understand where my quesiton is coming from. I have a settlement in place where my child's mother (my ex-girlfriend...we were never married) is my son's primary parent and I am his secondary parent. In the settlement it states that we are not allowed to speak unless the subject is our son. My son's mother began texting me regarding our breakup and my new girlfriend. The texts with her became an argument and she told me that she was going to call the police unless i stopped responding to her. I did and she continued to text me for about 5 more messages. When i responded for her to stop she then said she was calling the police. If she called the police would I be notified and/or how could i find out if she did.

I know this may sound un-important to some people but I am not familiar with these issues so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
This one I can answer woot woot!

You may call the police department in her area and see if there are any reports regarding you taken.

If so they will advise you. In the mean time do not entertain the personal issues of your ex- if you do it will continue and who needs that hassle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">