• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trevor16

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia
I am a 16 year old currently living in West Virginia. I want to get custody switched from my mom to my real dad who lives in Ohio. I know we are going tohave to go through West Virginia court's isntead of Ohio and i was wondering with my age and me having a job; Would it effect the judges decision at all?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am a 16 year old currently living in West Virginia. I want to get custody switched from my mom to my real dad who lives in Ohio. I know we are going tohave to go through West Virginia court's isntead of Ohio and i was wondering with my age and me having a job; Would it effect the judges decision at all?
I'm sorry, but you shouldn't be involved in this. Please have your parent(s) log on to ask questions about this. I will say that it is very unlikely that your custody will be changed.

trevor16

I'm sorry, but you shouldn't be involved in this. Please have your parent(s) log on to ask questions about this. I will say that it is very unlikely that your custody will be changed.
Im asking for my dad. He was wondering if it would effect the judges decision any.

LdiJ

Im asking for my dad. He was wondering if it would effect the judges decision any.
Your age "might" factor into the judge's decision, but it would be only one factor of many. The fact that you have a job is completely irrelevant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Trevor - really, this is not a position you should be put in. Please tell your dad that HE needs to be working on this. You shouldn't have to even be thinking about the mechanics behind this.

single317dad

Have your Dad begin here, WV code 48-9-401, requirements for modification of a parenting plan:

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/ChapterEntire.cfm?chap=48&art=9&section=401

Just Blue

You used the term "real dad". Were you LEGALLY adopted by your stepfather? If not why are you using that term? If you were adopted then "real dad" is no longer a dad. He is just a guy who gave you DNA.

LdiJ

You used the term "real dad". Were you LEGALLY adopted by your stepfather? If not why are you using that term? If you were adopted then "real dad" is no longer a dad. He is just a guy who gave you DNA.
That might be a little too harsh of a way to put it to a 16 year old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">