• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help first cousin get custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunnnshine1

texas and New hampshire
My first cousin and I grew up together. He has a 2yr old boy, but my cousin is going to go to prison for a long time on drug charges. The childs mother abandoned the child a year and a half ago.(it has not been documented as child abandonment yet) She currently has 3 warrents out for her arrest that I know of) My aunt sees the lawyer in the morning about getting temp custody. (right now the child is with her but no one has custody) They live in Texas, I live in New Hampshire. My aunt and I both want me to have custody of the child. My cousin would not have a problem with me having custody. I don't know how the courts will look at it. I am single 29 and am buying my first home. (I had been living with relatives, trying to save for a home) I have been at my job for the last 2 1/2 years and have been working in the same field for a total of 5 yrs(Correctional officer). It is a good job but I don't have a lot of extra money for big legal bills. The child will have a good home with me and I want to share my home with him. What can I do to show the courts that I would be a good parent (I have no kids).

Last edited:

LdiJ

sunnnshine1 said:
texas and New hampshire
My first cousin and I grew up together. He has a 2yr old boy, but my cousin is going to go to prison for a long time on drug charges. The childs mother abandoned the child a year and a half ago.(it has not been documented as child abandonment yet) She currently has 3 warrents out for her arrest that I know of) My aunt sees the lawyer in the morning about getting temp custody. (right now the child is with her but no one has custody) They live in Texas, I live in New Hampshire. My aunt and I both want me to have custody of the child. My cousin would not have a problem with me having custody. I don't know how the courts will look at it. I am single 29 and am buying my first home. (I had been living with relatives, trying to save for a home) I have been at my job for the last 2 1/2 years and have been working in the same field for a total of 5 yrs(Correctional officer). It is a good job but I don't have a lot of extra money for big legal bills. The child will have a good home with me and I want to share my home with him. What can I do to show the courts that I would be a good parent (I have no kids).
Your aunt, the child's grandmother, would have a decent shot at custody...even if mom didn't agree.

You, a cousin, would not have anywhere near as good a shot at custody, without the agreement of both parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">