• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help from Hawaii!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BabyD5322

I am 20 years old and i live in Hawaii.I recently found out that the father i grew up with is not my real father.My alleged real father lives in the state but denies that he is my father.I really need to know who my father is, because it's kind of like closure for me. And now I don't even know who I look like. I would like to seek counsel but i cannot afford it because i am a single parent of a 2 year old.I know that i can file of a paternity test, but i was wondering who the back child support would be paid to.Me or my mother(who i don't get along with).Also are there any agencies that would help me for free? CSEA won't because i am past 18 yrs. old.Please Help!!!
---thanks

G

Grandma B

There is no back child support. The time to file for support is past. If there were, it would go to your mother anyway. Why in the world would you have back support coming? Did you support yourself form birth through 18 years?

This would be a hard situation to deal with at your age. I do hope that you got the information from your mother and aren't just accepting someone else's say-so on this. If you're certain the story is true and seriously want to locate a man who denies paternity, you might be able to get help from one of the agencies that assists adoptees in finding birth parents.

Don't expect too much if you do find him; you might be very disappointed.

Incidently, I hope you've established paternity and filed for support for your own child.

B

BabyD5322

In response to Grandma B...I am not adopted. My mother and father were married at the time that I was born. Also the law at the time stated that if you were married and had a child, whether the child was the biological child of the father, his name could be put on the birth certificate. And my yes my mother has confirmed that my alleged father is my real father. His last name is very uncommon and he was a high ranking member of the police department. I know where he works, lives and i even have a picture of one of his children. Hawaii is a very small state and all I had to do was ask around and I found out a lot of information. Also I work at a law office and i know that he may still be liable for back child support. And even if it is paid to my mom, child suuport is supposed to be for the child. Please if anyone else has advice....
Thanks

L

LadyBlu

BabyD5322 said:
In response to Grandma B...I am not adopted. My mother and father were married at the time that I was born. Also the law at the time stated that if you were married and had a child, whether the child was the biological child of the father, his name could be put on the birth certificate. And my yes my mother has confirmed that my alleged father is my real father. His last name is very uncommon and he was a high ranking member of the police department. I know where he works, lives and i even have a picture of one of his children. Hawaii is a very small state and all I had to do was ask around and I found out a lot of information. Also I work at a law office and i know that he may still be liable for back child support. And even if it is paid to my mom, child suuport is supposed to be for the child. Please if anyone else has advice....
Thanks
If you work in a law office, wouldn't you be better off asking one of the atty's to answer this for you? In almost all states the SOL for collecting or establishing paternity/support is two years after the child reaches the age of majority. Not only that your mother would have to initiate the action, not you.
SO, doing the calculations, you are 20? That means that you are 2yrs older then the AGE OF MAJORITY, which means you are SOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">