• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lrl

Hello, I live in Pennsylvania.
We have shared legal and physical custody of our daughter. I have primary physical custody of our daughter, with her living with me. The other parent has visitation on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
My daughter has counseling appointments on Wednesday's and Therapy sessions on Thursdays.
My question is: is the other parent allowed to just freely show up at these appointments?
Is this considered custodial interference since it is not the other parents day or time with our daughter?

t74

Why would you not want the other parent involved in these sessions? If you are receiving reports from the professionals at these times, is there a reason the other parent is not entitled to the same information? If they were scheduled on the other parent's day, what you you expect for yourself?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello, I live in Pennsylvania.
We have shared legal and physical custody of our daughter. I have primary physical custody of our daughter, with her living with me. The other parent has visitation on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
My daughter has counseling appointments on Wednesday's and Therapy sessions on Thursdays.
My question is: is the other parent allowed to just freely show up at these appointments?
Is this considered custodial interference since it is not the other parents day or time with our daughter?
Yes, the other parent can show up for counseling appointments. Why shouldn't the other party be allowed to participate in the medical care of the child?

Zigner

There are legitimate reasons why one parent shouldn't be turning up unannounced to a therapy session.
I agree - but that's not really how this post was worded. I suspect the NCP wants to be able to show up and the CP is objecting, regardless of whether it's announced or not.

lrl

the other parent is using these sessions as extra visitation time and is also using them to undermine my parenting. I do not have a problem with the other parent going to the appointments on their parenting time or talking with the doctors.

Zigner

the other parent is using these sessions as extra visitation time and is also using them to undermine my parenting. I do not have a problem with the other parent going to the appointments on their parenting time or talking with the doctors.
In other words, it's not fair, right?

Proserpina

Well, there goes my theory.

I'll preempt the next question by advising you NOT to put your therapist in the hot seat because..that's where I think you're going with this thread.

lrl

I have no intentions of putting our daughter's therapist on the hot seat. These appointments are for our daughter to receive counseling and I don't feel that they should be interfered with. I have no problem if the other parent wants to make a different appointment to speak with the therapist to get reports or voice concerns. I do however feel that these appointments in no way should be used as extra visitation time.

Proserpina

I have no intentions of putting our daughter's therapist on the hot seat. These appointments are for our daughter to receive counseling and I don't feel that they should be interfered with. I have no problem if the other parent wants to make a different appointment to speak with the therapist to get reports or voice concerns. I do however feel that these appointments in no way should be used as extra visitation time.
Okay, so you don't go in, either?

lrl

These appointments are for our daughter to receive individual counseling for herself. The other parent is spending the whole counseling session with our daughter. I've asked the other parent to schedule the appointments on a day/ time that is within the other parents visitation time and is was flat out refused.

Proserpina

For the record, I can't think of a more mind-numbing way of getting extra parenting time. That's going to be a really, really, really hard sell.

lrl

I only go in for first 5 minutes or so, to sign her in an update on anything that has occured during the week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">