• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPAA requests for psychiatric treatment records in Arizona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robertx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in Arizona.

The subject of this post concerns the hipaa requests for psychiatric treatment records. I received interrogatories from the mother's attorney and I completed all of them, but I declined to provide provide the requested signed hipaa releases due to concerns I have about the delicacy of the therapeutic relationship. Plus, this is pretty sensitive and personal information.

I was advised, by the mother, in an email, that if I didn't provide the requested hipaa releases, the judge would likely subpoena them. Is there any provision that allows me to file a 'motion to quash' to prevent this (if that's the right term)? I have not yet received any kind of subpoena, but I found out today that the hearing, which was scheduled for next week, has been rescheduled for three months from now, but no reason is given.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in Arizona.

The subject of this post concerns the hipaa requests for psychiatric treatment records. I received interrogatories from the mother's attorney and I completed all of them, but I declined to provide provide the requested signed hipaa releases due to concerns I have about the delicacy of the therapeutic relationship. Plus, this is pretty sensitive and personal information.

I was advised, by the mother, in an email, that if I didn't provide the requested hipaa releases, the judge would likely subpoena them. Is there any provision that allows me to file a 'motion to quash' to prevent this (if that's the right term)? I have not yet received any kind of subpoena, but I found out today that the hearing, which was scheduled for next week, has been rescheduled for three months from now, but no reason is given.
Who is in therapy? Are we talking about your records or your child's records? If its your child's records how old is your child?

What is the backstory? That could determine whether this is a somewhat meaningless fishing expedition or something where a judge could determine that the records should be included in the case.

robertx

Who is in therapy? Are we talking about your records or your child's records? If its your child's records how old is your child?

What is the backstory? That could determine whether this is a somewhat meaningless fishing expedition or something where a judge could determine that the records should be included in the case.
The child is not in therapy; I am, and have been for several years, with pretty good results.

This past spring, the mother hired an attorney to have an out of state child support/parenting time domesticated. In the course of that process, the mother, with influence from the attorney (as told to me by the mother) grew unreasonably fearful that I was a danger to our son. However, this is something that she recanted to me directly after a mediation session, but then reasserted after the mediation broke down.

Basically, over the past 7 months, I have been accused of not paying any child support (which I disproved), not visiting while I was working out of state (which I also disproved) to more squishy things like asserting that I 'could' be a danger to our son, or to myself. The mother called two local publicly funded social service agencies for a "title 36 diversion" claiming I was a danger to myself and to our son, that I was abusing alcohol, not taking prescribed meds, that they had "concerns" about my mental health, and that I had 'persistent and severe mental illness' (although neither have any credentials to make such a statement).

The police came to my home and nicely delivered me to the first agency. I was evaluated by their staff psychiatrist and released that same afternoon as not being a threat to anybody. I had to go the second agency the following day to undergo a second eval, and was likewise released shortly thereafter. Obviously, they're not going to release someone they think is a danger.

We were ordered to attend mediation in June, which we did. Surprisingly, we actually made progress developing a parenting plan. The mistrust and anger lifted a little, and we went to lunch together after the mediation. That was when she told me that her attorney had pressured her into characterizing me as dangerous. By this I mean, the mother would say to her attorney, "I've known him for 12 years and he's never ever been dangerous, he has never hurt me or our son, or himself, and he's a great dad, even though he has ptsd and anxiety problems that make it difficult for him to work". The attorney, then, would say, "but how do you REALLY know?", "he COULD hurt somebody, and he owns guns!!". The mother HATES guns (even though I took her and the boy shooting twice-an experience which she said she enjoyed, at least at the time).

Back to the mediation. After the first session, suddenly I was seeing our son everyday, all day, unsupervised. Mother was, using her words, "on cloud 9", and everything was peachy. The parenting plan was 4/5ths complete. By the third session, we were friendly and making plans to take the boy to a movie. She was going to let her attorney go. The only point of contention in the proposed parenting plan was guns. She wanted one year of no guns around the boy, and no taking the boy shooting for that time. We compromised at 10 months.

After the third session, while things were going great, she came to my apartment to pick up our son. I also reload ammunition so I have a bench with some equipment (press, scale,etc), and components like powder and whatnot. There was no live ammo, as that was part of the "no guns for 10 months" deal. She didn't dig the reloading bench. The next day, she accused me of deceiving her, and knowingly violating the terms of the agreement; something I dispute. The guns and ammo are locked, and that was ok with her, but she didn't even ask me to lock the reloading gear, only hide it. The mom, when she picked him, started talking about how horrible guns are and such, then she asks him about the reloading stuff, and he breaks down and admits that I showed him was it was for (because he wanted to know).

That was the end. After that, I didn't get to see him, and still don't. By her account, I'm responsible for just about everything that goes wrong, and has gone wrong in her life. After 6 months of being on the defensive, I'm pretty much beat. I don't have money for an attorney so that is why I'm posting here.

The weird thing is that I'm still not clear on what the mom is trying to accomplish with all of this. She denies that she is trying to minimize my parenting time. She has said that she was ok with joint legal decision making. What is also clear, is that under the influence of her attorney, she has shared every personal, confidential, or sensitive thing I've done, said, or written for the purpose, presumably, to make me look as badly as possible. There is a good deal of hearsay in the accusations.
The last thing I got were the interrogatories that included the requests for signed hipaa requests for treatment records going back 2 years.

Hope this helps.

LdiJ

The child is not in therapy; I am, and have been for several years, with pretty good results.

This past spring, the mother hired an attorney to have an out of state child support/parenting time domesticated. In the course of that process, the mother, with influence from the attorney (as told to me by the mother) grew unreasonably fearful that I was a danger to our son. However, this is something that she recanted to me directly after a mediation session, but then reasserted after the mediation broke down.

Basically, over the past 7 months, I have been accused of not paying any child support (which I disproved), not visiting while I was working out of state (which I also disproved) to more squishy things like asserting that I 'could' be a danger to our son, or to myself. The mother called two local publicly funded social service agencies for a "title 36 diversion" claiming I was a danger to myself and to our son, that I was abusing alcohol, not taking prescribed meds, that they had "concerns" about my mental health, and that I had 'persistent and severe mental illness' (although neither have any credentials to make such a statement).

The police came to my home and nicely delivered me to the first agency. I was evaluated by their staff psychiatrist and released that same afternoon as not being a threat to anybody. I had to go the second agency the following day to undergo a second eval, and was likewise released shortly thereafter. Obviously, they're not going to release someone they think is a danger.

We were ordered to attend mediation in June, which we did. Surprisingly, we actually made progress developing a parenting plan. The mistrust and anger lifted a little, and we went to lunch together after the mediation. That was when she told me that her attorney had pressured her into characterizing me as dangerous. By this I mean, the mother would say to her attorney, "I've known him for 12 years and he's never ever been dangerous, he has never hurt me or our son, or himself, and he's a great dad, even though he has ptsd and anxiety problems that make it difficult for him to work". The attorney, then, would say, "but how do you REALLY know?", "he COULD hurt somebody, and he owns guns!!". The mother HATES guns (even though I took her and the boy shooting twice-an experience which she said she enjoyed, at least at the time).

Back to the mediation. After the first session, suddenly I was seeing our son everyday, all day, unsupervised. Mother was, using her words, "on cloud 9", and everything was peachy. The parenting plan was 4/5ths complete. By the third session, we were friendly and making plans to take the boy to a movie. She was going to let her attorney go. The only point of contention in the proposed parenting plan was guns. She wanted one year of no guns around the boy, and no taking the boy shooting for that time. We compromised at 10 months.

After the third session, while things were going great, she came to my apartment to pick up our son. I also reload ammunition so I have a bench with some equipment (press, scale,etc), and components like powder and whatnot. There was no live ammo, as that was part of the "no guns for 10 months" deal. She didn't dig the reloading bench. The next day, she accused me of deceiving her, and knowingly violating the terms of the agreement; something I dispute. The guns and ammo are locked, and that was ok with her, but she didn't even ask me to lock the reloading gear, only hide it. The mom, when she picked him, started talking about how horrible guns are and such, then she asks him about the reloading stuff, and he breaks down and admits that I showed him was it was for (because he wanted to know).

That was the end. After that, I didn't get to see him, and still don't. By her account, I'm responsible for just about everything that goes wrong, and has gone wrong in her life. After 6 months of being on the defensive, I'm pretty much beat. I don't have money for an attorney so that is why I'm posting here.

The weird thing is that I'm still not clear on what the mom is trying to accomplish with all of this. She denies that she is trying to minimize my parenting time. She has said that she was ok with joint legal decision making. What is also clear, is that under the influence of her attorney, she has shared every personal, confidential, or sensitive thing I've done, said, or written for the purpose, presumably, to make me look as badly as possible. There is a good deal of hearsay in the accusations.
The last thing I got were the interrogatories that included the requests for signed hipaa requests for treatment records going back 2 years.

Hope this helps.
Dad, what is more important to you? Guns, and the paraphernalia that goes with them, or your son? I think that its pretty clear what the problem is between you and mom, she doesn't want guns as a part of your life with the child. It scares her.

You admittedly have PTSD and anxiety issues. You have guns. That is a potentially dangerous combination even if your treatment is going superbly and you are taking all prescribed medication. If I were in your shoes I would permanently rid my home and life of everything gun related.

I do think that there is a viable shot that a judge will order to you release your records. I am not saying it absolutely will happen, but I think that there is a viable shot that it will. Its up to you whether or not to release them now, or to wait and see if a judge orders you to release them. However, waiting and seeing may possibly drag the situation out longer.

robertx

Dad, what is more important to you? Guns, and the paraphernalia that goes with them, or your son? I think that its pretty clear what the problem is between you and mom, she doesn't want guns as a part of your life with the child. It scares her.

You admittedly have PTSD and anxiety issues. You have guns. That is a potentially dangerous combination even if your treatment is going superbly and you are taking all prescribed medication. If I were in your shoes I would permanently rid my home and life of everything gun related.

I do think that there is a viable shot that a judge will order to you release your records. I am not saying it absolutely will happen, but I think that there is a viable shot that it will. Its up to you whether or not to release them now, or to wait and see if a judge orders you to release them. However, waiting and seeing may possibly drag the situation out longer.
I appreciate the answer to my question about the hipaa release, as that was really what my question was about, not what I would do with the guns.

LdiJ

I appreciate the answer to my question about the hipaa release, as that was really what my question was about, not what I would do with the guns.
Dad, the problem is that you really cannot separate the two. I am sorry to say that, but its reality.

RRevak

OP I get your stance, I really do and while you didn't really want to hear it, LD was right. I am a pro gun female (raised in a military/hunting family so I grew up with guns) but if having them potentially hinders your position with your son then you need to decide what means more because yes, they are relevant here. You're being questioned because certain issues you've been deemed to have means possessing guns in your position doesn't look well on you. Find them a new home and work on proving you're a safe and secure person for the benefit of your relationship with your son.

quincy

robertx, this is going to be a quick reply with a link to an article from the Tennessee Bar Association Journal and, thus, the laws cited in the article do not apply to you in Texas.

However, the process discussed in obtaining private medical information is the same and the privacy issues that are involved are the same. I think the article is a good one, to help you understand some of the issues you are facing and how you can handle them - although you really should be speaking with an attorney in your area.

If I have time, I will see if I can locate anything from Texas.

"Privacy of Mental Health Records in Divorce and Custody Proceedings. When a Child's Best Interests Are At Issue," by Siew-Ling Shea, July 1, 2013: http://www.tba.org/journal/privacy-of-mental-health-records-in-divorce-and-custody-proceedings

Last edited:

robertx

I'm really only interested in knowing how to handle a potential subpoena of records, not the possible outcome of having to provide the records. That's a topic for another thread.
And yes, they can be separated. Before it was the guns, it was something totally unrelated, and when she realized that she didn't have a leg to stand on, she then turned to the issue of guns.

quincy

I'm really only interested in knowing how to handle a potential subpoena of records, not the possible outcome of having to provide the records. That's a topic for another thread.
And yes, they can be separated. Before it was the guns, it was something totally unrelated, and when she realized that she didn't have a leg to stand on, she then turned to the issue of guns.
Did you read the article?

Proserpina

Please read the other answers.

It's all there.

robertx

robertx, this is going to be a quick reply with a link to an article from the Tennessee Bar Association Journal and, thus, the laws cited in the article do not apply to you in Texas.

However, the process discussed in obtaining private medical information is the same and the privacy issues that are involved are the same. I think the article is a good one, to help you understand some of the issues you are facing and how you can handle them - although you really should be speaking with an attorney in your area.

If I have time, I will see if I can locate anything that seems pertinent out of Texas.

"Privacy of Mental Health Records in Divorce and Custody Proceedings. When a Child's Best Interests Are At Issue," by Siew-Ling Shea, July 1, 2013: http://www.tba.org/journal/privacy-of-mental-health-records-in-divorce-and-custody-proceedings
Quincy - thanks for the cite. Just to be clear, I'm in Arizona. Also, not sure if this matters, but all of my records are at VA medical centers because that is where I've always received care. I wasn't sure if there were any federal rules that might affect the release. Or would the court simply order me to obtain them for the court?

quincy

Quincy - thanks for the cite. Just to be clear, I'm in Arizona. Also, not sure if this matters, but all of my records are at VA medical centers because that is where I've always received care. I wasn't sure if there were any federal rules that might affect the release. Or would the court simply order me to obtain them for the court?
I don't know why I thought Texas. You have Arizona bolded pretty nicely in your thread title. :)

There are federal rules that can apply to the release of medical records, yes, and there are ways to protect the medical information even if a court orders a release and review.

Rushia

OP I get your stance, I really do and while you didn't really want to hear it, LD was right. I am a pro gun female (raised in a military/hunting family so I grew up with guns) but if having them potentially hinders your position with your son then you need to decide what means more because yes, they are relevant here. You're being questioned because certain issues you've been deemed to have means possessing guns in your position doesn't look well on you. Find them a new home and work on proving you're a safe and secure person for the benefit of your relationship with your son.
I'm only quoting you to follow up and point out....

Mom is nitpicking, if Mom was truly antigun and had a real concern then there would be no time limit on the guns. 1 Year...pfft compromising to 10 months...double pffft. Mom is fishing and some members are playing right into it.

Did no one else truly notice that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">