• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired a deceptive attorney? what can i do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chase

North Carolina.

recently paid for a blood test and found a child to be mine. I am a father pursuing my child. There was no marrige or relationship. Only custody issue.I recently (3 weeks ago) retained an attorney to:

file a motion for legitimization to get my name on the birth certificate and give the child my last name.

issue some custody orders

and defend child support

the attorney told me two and a half weeks ago that the petion for legit. had been entered and delivered to sheriff office to be served on the other party. Called sheriffs office and they said they had no record of it being there.
called attorney back and they said it takes a couple days to get in the system. Waited almost two weeks. Today sherrifs office says there is still no record that it was dropped off. Attorney giving me the run around. I believe they are lying and continually giving me excuses. they have my "non-refundable" retainer of 1300.00 and after these incidences i dont trust or want to keep this attorney. very poorly run office, they cant provide proof of things i ask. noone seems to know whats going on. Is there any recourse for these actions? Is this normal? can i get my money back?
what can i do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">