• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home study?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
Ok, we already met with the GAL and it's really a moot point since OP moved out of state and no longer wants any custody but I still have to go through a home study here. EX can't get his lawyer to even withdraw his name from the case so he can sign off on paperwork w/o his attorney (he owes him a lot of money).
I am just curious what they look for in a home study. My munchkin is 5. House is clean but not spotless. We always have plenty of food, fruits and veggies. Her room is orderly, any toys or art stuff that didn't make it back to it's proper home by bedtime goes in a bin to be put away in the right place in the morning. No bugs or anything like that. Just curious what they look for and what to expect.
They told me they know they were supposed to do one on my ex but were told he moved and they can't do one since they don't know where he is.
Thanks a lot.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

First step - relax.

They're going to look to see if it's an appropriate environment for a kid. That means:
- Appropriate food in the house. Doesn't have to be granola and kashi, but should be a variety of decent foods.
- House should be sanitary. That doesn't mean spotless, but just reasonably livable
- Reasonable living quarters. House should have heat, hot water, etc.
- Security - doors that lock, etc

If you panic, you're going to simply create tension and possibly make more problems. Instead, simply "welcome to my home and I'd be happy to hear any suggestions you can make".

First step - relax.

They're going to look to see if it's an appropriate environment for a kid. That means:
- Appropriate food in the house. Doesn't have to be granola and kashi, but should be a variety of decent foods.
- House should be sanitary. That doesn't mean spotless, but just reasonably livable
- Reasonable living quarters. House should have heat, hot water, etc.
- Security - doors that lock, etc

If you panic, you're going to simply create tension and possibly make more problems. Instead, simply "welcome to my home and I'd be happy to hear any suggestions you can make".
Misto has this right. Additionally, they are going to ask you about how much you make, what kind of bills you have - nothing too fancy just a rough budget. They will also ask you if you and kiddo have health insurance, auto insurance, etc. They will most likely ask you for3-5 references (can be family members) and they will call a few them with very general questions such as have they seen you and kiddo together? Would they leave their children with you? etc. Very general stuff.

Misto covered what they look for in your home environment. It's generally very relaxed.

The home study will also include a DCS records check that will just state if you have had any involvement with them before and DCS will also run a quick criminal records check locally to see if you've had any crimes that could affect parenting.

They type this up unto a 2-3 page report. At the end of the written home study report, DCS will say something along the lines of "X has adequate housing and food etc and the Department sees no reason that X cannot properly care for the child and is a suitable home." If DCS saw a minor or easily fixable problem, they might say something like "X needs to put outlet covers or babyproof the kitchen better, etc. but is otherwise a suitable home."

DCS' home study will only state if suitable. They do not recommend one home over the other. I know in your case Father's home study will not be conducted since he moved, but, since others in TN may read these posts later, it is entirely possible (and happens often) that both parents have "favorable" home studies since the purpose is just to determine the child can be sheltered, clean, fed, etc. and not a choice between parents.

Last edited:
thanks

I like the part you said "welcome to my home and I'd be happy to hear any suggestions you can make". That is exactly how I feel. I think I am providing a great place for my daughter but I would absolutely want to know if there are any areas that they think need addressing. I want the best for my lil one and if there is something I may have overlooked in our home then they are doing my daughter and me a service by pointing it out to.
Just curious tho..is it ok to treat them like any other guest and offer them a coke, tea etc or no?

LdiJ

I like the part you said "welcome to my home and I'd be happy to hear any suggestions you can make". That is exactly how I feel. I think I am providing a great place for my daughter but I would absolutely want to know if there are any areas that they think need addressing. I want the best for my lil one and if there is something I may have overlooked in our home then they are doing my daughter and me a service by pointing it out to.
Just curious tho..is it ok to treat them like any other guest and offer them a coke, tea etc or no?
Yes, its perfectly acceptable to offer hospitality. They may not accept your hospitality, but its perfectly acceptable to offer it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">