• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Houston, Texas Custody for Dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gager2002

Divorce was final 06/2007. My oldest daughter never wanted to live with mom. She was 12 then, and now 14. Will be 15 in June 2009. I didn't fight for custody at first because was all as parents want a divorce as least of a problem for the kids. Well, that's wrong thinking. The mother was re-married 50 days after divorce. Now they both drink, smoke, use profanity, all in the house with my 14f, 9f, and 6m kids... Now they are so busy my 14yo cooks, does homework, and dresses her siblings. She wants to live with me. What are the procedures. She files a notarized affidavit in the court? I file for petition to modify custody orders? Then notify the mother? After she finds out about this, mom and step dad with increase the ugly and nasty treatment. Is there an emergency way to do this? Please help.

thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need to start reading Texas rules of civil procedure and statutes. She can file an affidavit of preference in addition to YOUR motion for custody but no one here is going to walk you through it step by step.

Ronin

You should also talk to an attorney. Texas is very much against separating siblings, and there are provisions in the Texas Family Code clearly specifying this.

Drinking, smoking, and swearing at home are not illegal in Texas. A lot of teenagers have to 'work' around the house, some more so than others depending upon their parents work schedules. While the idea of having more freedom by staying with dad is certainly appealing for a teenager, her younger siblings (your other children) surely benefit from her help and presence in the household.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">