• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can a grandparent or aunt get legal custody over a child who's mother is abusive?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dustindupalo

Oregon,

My girlfriends cousin selena is 12 years old and lives in Oregon. Her father died 2 years ago in a car accident. Her real mother was not given custody of her but her step mother was. Her step mother was not a good parent and she started drinking heavily. Her step mother was just sent to prison for abusing her in june of 2009. Selena was put in a foster home but she is now staying with some family friends.
My girlfriends grandmother has been trying to get custody of her granddaughter for the last two years because she new that her step mother was not a good parent and that she was being mistreated. I want to figure out legally what action she could take and how to go about adopting? getting custody?
are there any similar cases that might come in handy for a reference?

I don't know what to do but I'd like to help any way I can.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Oregon,

My girlfriends cousin selena is 12 years old and lives in Oregon. Her father died 2 years ago in a car accident. Her real mother was not given custody of her but her step mother was. Her step mother was not a good parent and she started drinking heavily. Her step mother was just sent to prison for abusing her in june of 2009. Selena was put in a foster home but she is now staying with some family friends.
My girlfriends grandmother has been trying to get custody of her granddaughter for the last two years because she new that her step mother was not a good parent and that she was being mistreated. I want to figure out legally what action she could take and how to go about adopting? getting custody?
are there any similar cases that might come in handy for a reference?

I don't know what to do but I'd like to help any way I can.
Grandma needs an attorney for this.

Were the biological mother's parental rights actually terminated?

(In all honesty, you need to get Grandma here and have her sign up for her own account. Legally this doesn't concern you or your girlfriend - but above all it's tricky trying to help a third party because 99.9% of the time, that third party doesn't have all of the required information)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">