+ Reply to Thread
    dustindupalo is offline Junior Member

Exclamation how can a grandparent or aunt get legal custody over a child who's mother is abusive?

Oregon,

My girlfriends cousin selena is 12 years old and lives in Oregon. Her father died 2 years ago in a car accident. Her real mother was not given custody of her but her step mother was. Her step mother was not a good parent and she started drinking heavily. Her step mother was just sent to prison for abusing her in june of 2009. Selena was put in a foster home but she is now staying with some family friends.
    My girlfriends grandmother has been trying to get custody of her granddaughter for the last two years because she new that her step mother was not a good parent and that she was being mistreated. I want to figure out legally what action she could take and how to go about adopting? getting custody?
    are there any similar cases that might come in handy for a reference?

I don't know what to do but I'd like to help any way I can.
    Last edited by dustindupalo; 08-11-2009 at 02:12 AM.
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustindupalo View Post
    Oregon,

My girlfriends cousin selena is 12 years old and lives in Oregon. Her father died 2 years ago in a car accident. Her real mother was not given custody of her but her step mother was. Her step mother was not a good parent and she started drinking heavily. Her step mother was just sent to prison for abusing her in june of 2009. Selena was put in a foster home but she is now staying with some family friends.
    My girlfriends grandmother has been trying to get custody of her granddaughter for the last two years because she new that her step mother was not a good parent and that she was being mistreated. I want to figure out legally what action she could take and how to go about adopting? getting custody?
    are there any similar cases that might come in handy for a reference?

I don't know what to do but I'd like to help any way I can.
    Grandma needs an attorney for this.

Were the biological mother's parental rights actually terminated?

(In all honesty, you need to get Grandma here and have her sign up for her own account. Legally this doesn't concern you or your girlfriend - but above all it's tricky trying to help a third party because 99.9% of the time, that third party doesn't have all of the required information)