• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I terminate the father's parental rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

enowen

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My daughter is 17mo old and her father has never been a part of her life. I have never received child support nor have I taken him to court for child support. He is currently in jail down in Florida for stealing a car and really just does not have an appropriate lifestyle to raise a child. He will not voluntarily give up parental rights to her. What should I do to prevent him from ever being able to have custody of her?

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

It won't happen in Indiana unless you have a husband to adopt her. Terminating parental rights in Indiana also terminates your right to support, so Indiana is not going to let you terminate his rights unless there is a husband to take over his responsibilities. I do believe in Indiana, you have to be married at least a year for them to consider it.

HomeGuru

enowen said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My daughter is 17mo old and her father has never been a part of her life. I have never received child support nor have I taken him to court for child support. He is currently in jail down in Florida for stealing a car and really just does not have an appropriate lifestyle to raise a child. He will not voluntarily give up parental rights to her. What should I do to prevent him from ever being able to have custody of her?
**A: if the bio dad does not want to give up his parental rights, you have a long hard road ahead of you.

tigger22472

Also want to add that until you take him to court for CS he's not obligated to pay CS. There's not even enough information given to even know if paternity was established or not either.

What LMSP as well has HG is correct.

D

djl06

How can I terminate my parental rights?

This woman lied to me for 4 years that her baby wasn't mine that it was her boyfriends, I just found out over the weekend that the child is mine. I want to know how I can go about terminating my parental rights. I live in Maryland/ Washington, DC area and the mom resides in CA, please advise. Thanks. :confused:

K

krispenstpeter

You cannot terminate your rights.

Answer the questions:

Have you established through DNA that the child is actually yours?

Have you or the woman gone to court to establishe paternity, support, visitation or anything?

What proof does she have that the child is yours.

D

djl06

?

I don't know if it makes you feel good or better of a person to belittle people when you talk to them. This was my very first posting so I don't know where you are getting this I've been told twice. Thank you for your response but I don't want to talk to someone that disrespects me for no reason at all. You take care and have a great weekend.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yo krispy! Dude - you're talking to two different posters. enowen wants to terminate her babydaddy's rights, djl wants to terminate his own. His mistake is in trying to hijack enowen's thread so the appropriate place for further responses would be.... da da da dum.... the thread he started for himself. Take a chill pill, darlin'! ;)

M

MzMelissa

Wow....

Is it common for people to be so rude here? Are some of you actually here to give advice or just feed your egos by being so condescending to others? :mad:

L

llake1195

I was starting to think the same thing about people being rude. This is my second time on, and I thought this was suppose to help people.

I live in NC, don't know how different the rules are. I just waisted $100 for a consultation with a lawyer to basically tell me it would cost me to much money (unless you have the Money) to take away my x's rights. It is going to cost $3000.00 to do so. The thing is, I don't even know where he is or anything. All I know is he lives in the same city. He is court ordered to pay child support, which he would not have to if he would sign over rights.
I was told to put an ad in the paper for 30 days straight given the other half to contact you. If they do not, take proof to a notary that you had done this, then go down and see your magestrate. You can be granted full custody this way, better than nothing.

M

MzMelissa

Me too...

llake1195 said:
I was told to put an ad in the paper for 30 days straight given the other half to contact you. If they do not, take proof to a notary that you had done this, then go down and see your magestrate. You can be granted full custody this way, better than nothing.

I have been told the same thing by a paralegal friend of mine. I see those ads in the paper every day giving them 30 days to respond, but I do know they WILL make you exhaust ALL efforts to give them notice. IF he pays child support, they should have his current address. The county that I use DOES have his current address, but implied that I couldn't have it. I'm thinking that they would have to supply it to me in a case where I am having him served. Good luck. Maybe a smart a$$ won't respond with some "i'm-the-almighty" post...lol! :D

BelizeBreeze

llake1195 said:
I was starting to think the same thing about people being rude. This is my second time on, and I thought this was suppose to help people.

I live in NC, don't know how different the rules are. I just waisted $100 for a consultation with a lawyer to basically tell me it would cost me to much money (unless you have the Money) to take away my x's rights. It is going to cost $3000.00 to do so. The thing is, I don't even know where he is or anything. All I know is he lives in the same city. He is court ordered to pay child support, which he would not have to if he would sign over rights.
First off, just WHERE would you publish this 'ad'? Also, your assertion that if he signs over his rights he would not have to pay child support is only half right. And proof to a notary is ridiculous. What does a notary have to do with the legal system?

As for the poster being granted full custody, this is not even the issue in this post so why discuss it?

I have been told the same thing by a paralegal friend of mine. I see those ads in the paper every day giving them 30 days to respond, but I do know they WILL make you exhaust ALL efforts to give them notice. IF he pays child support, they should have his current address. The county that I use DOES have his current address, but implied that I couldn't have it. I'm thinking that they would have to supply it to me in a case where I am having him served. Good luck. Maybe a smart a$$ won't respond with some "i'm-the-almighty" post...lol!
Now, this drivel.

If he does pay child support then parental rights cannot be taken away without first the father giving his permission AND a third party ready to adopt. There is no discussion in this thread that this is occurring.

Even child support is considered contact by the courts.

People, instead of posting totally irrelevant and false information maybe check and get your facts straight.

Also, why the hell has this post been dredged up from the dead?

kidoday

This may be a smart remark, but why are you bringing a thread started in May to the forefront?

As far TPR goes and putting a notice in the paper for 30 days doesn't grant you the right to TPR, it may grant you the right to sole custody, however, as you know those are two different things. You can make the decsions regading the child 100%, without visitation; yet continue to rack up cs money.

M

MzMelissa

Classifieds, dear

Those ads appear in the beginning section of the classifieds. They often are found with the auction and estate notices. The ones that *I* have seen are mainly from DSS trying to terminate parental rights for the purpose of adoption, but it is considered an alternate way to try and give the father notice if in fact he hasn't contacted you or provided an address. Toodles....

BelizeBreeze

MzMelissa said:
Those ads appear in the beginning section of the classifieds. They often are found with the auction and estate notices. The ones that *I* have seen are mainly from DSS trying to terminate parental rights for the purpose of adoption, but it is considered an alternate way to try and give the father notice if in fact he hasn't contacted you or provided an address. Toodles....
And that answers the question I posed not one bit. WHERE are you required by the court to 'publish' this notice and what, if any, documentation will the court require before such an ad is entered into the record?

Like I said, this is a dead thread but since you insist on reviving it AND giving out advice that is neither accurate nor correct, then at least do the poster the courtesy of providing corrrect information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">