• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can my husband get his parental rights back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amandalura_1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

My husband found out he had a son a little over five years ago, before he and I met, he took the mother to court to get parental rights so he could pay child support. In the end the court ended up taking his parental rights away. Now he and I are married and I am pregnant, I would like my child to know their brother. Is there away for my husband to get his rights back, as well as finding away for my child to have sibling rights?
My issue with what happened is that my husband is not an abusive or neglectful parent. The judge made his reason to be biased on a juvenile record he had long before, as well as the fact that the mother was married. The judge looked down on that. My husband did not know she was married until after she was pregnant. I believe they are both at fault for that. The mother had a past drug problem that was not looked at as well. I am at a loss of what we can do about getting this overturned. He is a wonderful father to my children and we are looking forward to the next child on the way. There has to be something that can be done, a father should have the right to his child if he is not an abusive person and wants to be part of their child's life.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

WittyUserName

It would be better if Dad himself could post here, as I think there may be some miscommunication potential.

But just so you are aware - siblings generally do not have legal rights to visitation. Especially unborn siblings. So the sibling rights avenue is likely to be nonproductive.

Antigone*

My husband found out he had a son a little over five years ago, before he and I met, he took the mother to court to get parental rights so he could pay child support. In the end the court ended up taking his parental rights away. Now he and I are married and I am pregnant, I would like my child to know their brother. Is there away for my husband to get his rights back, as well as finding away for my child to have sibling rights?
My issue with what happened is that my husband is not an abusive or neglectful parent. The judge made his reason to be biased on a juvenile record he had long before, as well as the fact that the mother was married. The judge looked down on that. My husband did not know she was married until after she was pregnant. I believe they are both at fault for that. The mother had a past drug problem that was not looked at as well. I am at a loss of what we can do about getting this overturned. He is a wonderful father to my children and we are looking forward to the next child on the way. There has to be something that can be done, a father should have the right to his child if he is not an abusive person and wants to be part of their child's life.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
There is no do-over button when it comes to terminated parental rights, especially since your husband was involved int he process.

Your husband is no longer a father and does not have any rights to this child whatsoever. In fact this child most likely now has a father and to bring your husband into the picture would be detrimental to the child.

Concentrate on raising the child you are about to have ~ with that you have enough on your plate.

Proserpina

Your husband's rights weren't taken away - he never had any to begin with; because Mom was married when the child was born her husband became the child's legal father and apparently the court thought this was in the child's best interest.

I cannot see the court overturning this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">