• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i change custody agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RJAbate

Northern Virginia..... My ex-husband and i have been divorced for 3 years. We agreed on joint custody of our son (who is now 5) with myself having primary physical (we never went to court, but this is stated in our divorce decree). My son's father took him every other weekend and weds. Soon after our divorce my son and i moved 2 1/2 hours away where i remarried. (i had discussed this with his father first and he was okay with it) For the first few months he came and got him for weekend visits and my husband and i would even split the drive and meet him halfway. He has never stopped paying child support (although i do have to add that he is active duty military and knows that he doesn't have a choice). It has now been 2 years since he had a visit and 6 months since his last phone call. My son loves his step-father (who he calls daddy) and his new brother. I'm terrified of something happening to me and my son being taken out of the only home and family he knows, or his father demanding his visitation suddenly and having to send my son away with a stranger. I would like to change our previous arrangement giving me FULL custody but don't know where to start. We can't really afford a lawyer, is this something i can do without one and how do i do it? (I should also mention that he has an 7 year old daughter that he hasn't had any contact with or paid support to in 6 years. ) Thank you for helping find a path to solve this problem....just pointing me in a direction would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you! Rebekah

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">