• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get copies of CPS records ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adonahee

What is the name of your state?MI
When going to the Custody review interviews, they say to bring copies of any social services/child protective services reports with you....How do you get copies of those? (They were never called on me.....only my Ex, and he won't even admit they came, never mind providing a copy of what they said!) HELP needed FAST!!

A

adonahee

Enough said....Thanks Stealth!

Wasn't sure if these are Public records, or if they are confidential....With it being SATURDAY and all, couldn't reach them today. But thanks for your input! :rolleyes:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

adonahee said:
Wasn't sure if these are Public records, or if they are confidential....With it being SATURDAY and all, couldn't reach them today. But thanks for your input! :rolleyes:

My response:

A simple "thank you" would have sufficed. We know it's Saturday, and it's obvious around the country that governmental offices are closed on Saturdays.

Boy, talk about overreacting to a simple answer!

IAAL

A

adonahee

A thank you for what?

I don't know if stating the obvious qualifies for a "thanks" - but gosh, Liable, I didn't mean to get YOUR knickers in a twist! I was just trying to find out the answer to a question....(Is THAT an overreaction too?) Never mind, don't answer that~

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Heh. I actually found the :rolleyes: amusing. I cannot see how CPS records regarding a minor would be a public record, but hey - I could be wrong.

What I found shocking :eek: is that the interested party wouldn't know s/he would need such information and that it wouldn't somehow become such an !urgent! request. Hell, if I knew CPS was called on my ex, you can bet I would be tracking down that report w/in minutes and would make sure I was on top of the caseworker every step of the way. Not waiting for it to be a !Need!Help!Fast! situation.

A

adonahee

OK, OK, you got me....

It's not my situation. There, are ya happy? ;)
This is regarding my husband's custody case (look it up - it's posted a few days back..) When CPS "investigated" (ha ha) it caused a lot of commotion (because others have called on her before) and she refused to talk about it. My husband never asked about the report because nothing was done - i.e. they left her alone. He actually had no idea - and still doesn't - if the records can be accessed. But even so, all of the sites that are r/t custody say to take copies of those types of reports with you. So how is he supposed to do that if they aren't public record, and she won't discuss it? (and thanks, my reply to you was MEANT to be sarcastically humorous)

kidoday

Yes you can ask for the records under the freedom of information act. If nothing pertains to the child or your husband they won't give any information. You need to write them a letter requesting all information regarding both parties.

A

adonahee

Thanks so much, Kid!

I love it when someone ANSWERS THE QUESTION!!!! :) Sent a letter today requesting the info from CPS...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
adonahee said:
It's not my situation. There, are ya happy? ;)
This is regarding my husband's custody case (look it up - it's posted a few days back..)
This is EXACTLY why a lot of us ask that you keep posts together in ONE thread. Noone finds your situation personally compelling enough to spend time tracking previous threads down.

adonahee said:
When CPS "investigated" (ha ha) it caused a lot of commotion (because others have called on her before) and she refused to talk about it. My husband never asked about the report because nothing was done - i.e. they left her alone. He actually had no idea - and still doesn't - if the records can be accessed.
And he STILL doesn't apparently f*cking care 'cause he's not the one asking about the records! Has it occurred to him to CALL CPS? Like when he first heard about it? As the FATHER of the kids?

Be as sarcastic as you please. Doesn't bother me one whit.

kidoday

You are welcome.

Actually Stealth did answer your question. Maybe not in as much detail.

Make sure your letter states under the Freedom of Information Act, naming both parties. Otherwise you may get a letter back saying they aren't able to give you information.

CdwJava

Chances are, even citing FOIA, CPS won't be able to release that information under most circumstances. The petitioner might be able to get a copy of complaints that they had written, but not likely to get copies of additional complaints or investigations unless so ordered by a court.

But, MI may be a little different than CA. Because out here, I can almost guarantee that the information would NOT be released.

Carl

Whyte Noise

I know that when I tried to get copies of CPS reports involvong my children and my ex, they wouldn't release them to me. They said that I wasn't a "party" to the investigation and that I'd have to subpoena them to get them released, or my ex would have to request a copy and HE could give it to me (as IF). This was in Georgia.

kidoday

I am just posting my experience with Michigan and Indiana CPS. As a parent you can use the FOIA and gain information regarding your children as long as you can prove you are a parent to the child. Indiana blocked out all ifnormation regarding other parties, but Michigan didn't.

A

adonahee

Thanks, that's really good news, Kid -

And as for Stealth2, or should I call you Wapner? - put down the gavel. As for the father of the child, HE'S the one who called CPS - But forget the rest of it. It's simply not compelling enough for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">