+ Reply to Thread
    Mewsik is offline Junior Member

Unhappy How do I get custody of my younger siblings?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My family has been going through drama since the day I was born. Today I am 22, with 1 younger sister(17) and 1 younger brother(5) and engaged to be married. I am finishing up my bachelors and have my own apartment but am currently looking for a job after graduation, whereas my fiancee is a government contractor and makes 75k a year. My current circumstances are that my mother is mentally unstable and likely to commit suicide at any time. My step-father has anger management issues and is not the legal guardian or blood relative of my younger brother or me. Both my brother and sister are half-siblings of mine.

I want to gain custody of my brother but do not know how or if I have the qualifications to do so. I know I have to go through papers for emancipation for my sister who is a few months shy of 18 if I didn't want to wait for her to reach adult status. However, it is a lot more complicated with my brother. I want to gain guardianship of my brother and take him away from the mentally and emotionally damaging environment that is his home without having my mother commit suicide.

What can and should I do?
    Last edited by Mewsik; 12-06-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: more details
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewsik View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My family has been going through drama since the day I was born. Today I am 22, with 1 younger sister(17) and 1 younger brother(5) and engaged to be married. I am finishing up my bachelors and have my own apartment but am currently looking for a job after graduation, whereas my fiancee is a government contractor and makes 75k a year. My current circumstances are that my mother is mentally unstable and likely to commit suicide at any time.

Unless she has been declared mentally incompetent or CPS are involved, this is - honestly - a non-issue.

My step-father has anger management issues and is not the legal guardian or blood relative of my younger brother or me. Both my brother and sister are half-siblings of mine.

Where is/are the father/s?

I want to gain custody of my brother but do not know how or if I have the qualifications to do so. I know I have to go through papers for emancipation for my sister who is a few months shy of 18 if I didn't want to wait for her to reach adult status.
    Wrong. Your sister doesn't qualify for emancipation - period.

However, it is a lot more complicated with my brother. I want to gain guardianship of my brother and take him away from the mentally and emotionally damaging environment that is his home without having my mother commit suicide.

What can and should I do?

I live in WA, just so you know.

Now, I'm curious as to what you consider is actually an unfit environment. Which county are you in? I can probably dig up some resources for you.
    Mewsik is offline Junior Member
    Currently CPS is investigating our home. My mother will most likely be coined mentally unstable due to panic attacks almost everyday multiple times a day, and anger fits that can turn abusive though rare. We have images of bruises and things like that on my sister.

My brother's biological father is dead. My step-dad is my sister's biological father. And someone told me my sister would qualify...but I don't know anything about it, so I'll probably have to wait until she's 18.

I live in King county, but my sister is currently suffering from depression and has been hurt mentally and physically in our home by both parents. The school Counselors have talked it over with her and they were the ones to report to CPS. I am mostly concerned that my younger brother will be caught in the crossfires of any arguments between my parents as both my sister and I have been.
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewsik View Post
    Currently CPS is investigating our home. My mother will most likely be coined mentally unstable due to panic attacks almost everyday multiple times a day, and anger fits that can turn abusive though rare. We have images of bruises and things like that on my sister.

Hon, you have no idea what it actually takes to be deemed unfit. No idea.

Images prove nothing at all. PLEASE save yourself some heartache, and read these forums.

My brother's biological father is dead. My step-dad is my sister's biological father. And someone told me my sister would qualify...but I don't know anything about it, so I'll probably have to wait until she's 18.

I live in King county, but my sister is currently suffering from depression and has been hurt mentally and physically in our home by both parents. The school Counselors have talked it over with her and they were the ones to report to CPS. I am mostly concerned that my younger brother will be caught in the crossfires of any arguments between my parents as both my sister and I have been.

You've got nothing here. Seriously.

Come back when CPS have made their determination.
    mistoffolees is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Proserpina View Post
    Hon, you have no idea what it actually takes to be deemed unfit. No idea.

Images prove nothing at all. PLEASE save yourself some heartache, and read these forums.

You've got nothing here. Seriously.

Come back when CPS have made their determination.
    There ARE things that OP can do right now:

1. Get Mom the care that she needs. If Mom is a serious danger to herself or others, contact the authorities to see what it would take to have her brought in for evaluation. If she's not an imminent danger, get her to a mental health professional for treatment.

2. Make sure the younger kids have your phone number and can call you in an emergency. Teach them that they can call 911 at any time they feel that there's danger without repercussions.

3. Continue to communicate with Stepfather and Mom. Let them know that any time they need a break, the kids are welcome to stay at your house temporarily.

Meanwhile, I'm confused. You say:
    My step-father has anger management issues and is not the legal guardian or blood relative of my younger brother or me. Both my brother and sister are half-siblings of mine
    As I understand that, all 3 kids are your Mom's. But all 3 kids must have different fathers (with only the middle one being the stepfather's). So where are the other two fathers?
    commentator is offline Senior Member
    If your little brother's father is dead, he may be the family cash cow, receiving SS Death benefits from having a dead parent. If this is true, you can bet your life that your mother is not unstable enough or unaware enough to be willing to let him go, and step-father isn't going to go for it either. So you'll have a really big fight on your hands.