• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get guardianship of my nephew

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cricket516

What is the name of your state?Georgia.
My nephew is 12yrs.old. My sis is a single parent,who lives with my step aunt. They have 1 room in which her and her two boys live in. She sings in a gospel group and travels all the time. She pulled them out of school 3 years ago. They are so far behind in their schooling. The boys "dads" does not even see them. They only pay her for child support. My nephew wants to live with me. Its not that sis is mean to him,buts shows much difference between the 2. Her youngest has some stomach problems,and always gets his way. Sis has hit the oldest before,even when it wasnt his fault. I have witness this and tried to stop her and tell her the truth. She said she didnt care because the oldest one argues with her. The only reason he does this,is because he is trying to tell her the truth.
The other day,sis called me and told me she could not take the oldest one no more. But,the only way he could stay with me is...#1 he still has to travel with her...#2 if he continues to argue with his brother he has to come back home and live "cramped up"
Sis is going through a lot of problems of her own. She makes the oldest play with her hair to relax her,stuf like that. When I tell her to just let him live with me...she will say "no" that is not a punishment for him because he wants to live with you.
He has been here for 2 weeks now,but she said he is still arguing with his brother so he might not get to come back.
Me and my husband has pretty much took care of the oldest from the time he was a baby,off and on. Please someone help me. I don't know where to start.
Thanks
(The only reason they make him travel with them,is because they make him run the sound.)

S

sweetpea826

Childrens rights

I read somewhere that if a child is 12 and older; they may appoint a guardian for themselves. Check with you state regarding guardianship and the rights of the children. Hope I helped in some way.

BlondiePB

sweetpea826
You are to be commended for your actions with your sister, and I will be posting on your thread as well. Your sister does, indeed, need you to protect her from the blatant abuse and neglect and removal from her current situation. You have demonstrated your competence and articulation.

Cricket516 has not provided information that warrants guardianship of her nephew. Acquiring guardianship over a person is something that courts evaluate carefully. Not only the situation of the potential ward is evaluated, the potential guardian is also evaluated (criminal history, credit history, income, etc.). Someone cannot just be a guardian because one wants to.

Sweetpea, I know you are trying to help Cricket. And, that is very sweet of you. I stand by my post to refer Cricket516 to first get the family into some family counceling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">