• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I sign away rights as a parent in MD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luckyoneotc

I am in Maryland, what are all the basic steps to sign away my rights as a parent? Does the other parent have to consent, once it is done is it done forever? Once it is signed there is no chance for reconsideration?

L

LadyBlu

luckyoneotc said:
I am in Maryland, what are all the basic steps to sign away my rights as a parent? Does the other parent have to consent, once it is done is it done forever? Once it is signed there is no chance for reconsideration?
There are only a couple of reasons that a judge in any state would allow a parent to sign away rights to their children.

1. If there was a step parent or someone else to adopt the child.

2. If there was abuse from the NCP that is willing to sign away rights.

3. The NCP is in prison with no chance of parole in this lifetime.

The courts are very strict about this. Since it is the thought of the court/state that two parents are responsible for bringing a child into this world, so should two parents be financially responsible for the raising of the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">