• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you prove a mother unfit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LilyMD

To jslopez: Sorry that I offended you with caring for the child, being scared and confused and seeing what info was out there. I knew when I asked this question I would get attacked for it , I was not trying to offend anyone. I also would like for him to spend as much time with both dad and MOM as possible, (sounds weird after my question I know), but I also want him to be able to breathe and see while he is doing it. Best case scenario as far as I am concerned is that she stops smoking around him, sends him with his glasses to daycare, patches him, and that one day really soon he gets excited to see her without his father and I telling him how much she and his other family, missed him and love him and want to see him, and that he has two whole families that love him more than anything, that he is the luckiest little boy, for and hour or more before she shows up. Because right now the worst thing in the world is hearing "I stay with daddy" when it comes to be pick-up time. Not that we don't want him to stay but he needs to be excited to see her and spend time with her.

To casa: Thank you for the info, I didn't know a lot of it, it is very helpful, and the doctor has it notated I believe, she was the one to tell the mother to stop smoking around the child. We will look for the nebulizer replacement parts, thank you big time on that I was worried that we would have to buy a whole new one, I didn't know they sold just parts. Eye drops might work, we will definitely ask. Yea. :)

Last edited:

SMURFEELAW said:
Short of mom lying in the gutter holding the childs head underwater with her foot while giving oral stimulation to one man, manual stimpulation to another and smoking a crack pipe all at the same time youf stbhubby should keep what he has and make the best of it.
I would agree with those sentiments. Unless the mother is horribly abusive, a crack addict, or a prostitute you can forget getting custody changed.

inovermyhead

Hi Lily,
I am from florida and soon to be step-mom of a 5 year old. My SO has had (emergancy) custody of his son, through DCF, since June of last year. The mother has had supervised visitation with the maternal grandmother. The mother got high, passed out in the car (overnight) with all four kids and was woken up by a police officer. This is where the fun starts. Before this the father had regular visitation with the son, not 50/50. The State of Florida has spent time and money for almost one year to try and get this mother to straighten up. She has a very documented drug problem and child neglect problem. DCF gave her three court dates from june until last thursday to show up in complience. With this I mean, pass drug test, hold job to pay child support, attend anger managment classes and no get arrested in the mean time. In the first one, she failed drug screen and had gotten arrested. The same in the second with the drug test and arrested and this time, she was kicked out of her anger managment for lack of participation and causing an up roar. When I say drugs, not just pot but positive for cocaine too. I know that you are concerned about your stepson. I was concerned about mine too, but unless you do something terribly wrong this state does not want the child taken from the mother. They have given this mom almost a year and guess what?? If she would have striaghtened up, she would have custody back. That's just how florida works. I would stay with the 50/50 and keep documenting about the asthma. And for the glasses, I am not sure if it is the Shriner's or Lions Club but one of those collects old frames and will pay for children to get new glasses...May be worht checking into

inovermyhead

Lily,
Sorry, step mom from Fl again..I forgot to add..Last thursday 2-24-05, DCF closed the case and gave the father sole legal and physical cutody. She has supervised visitation but that is it.

LilyMD said:
Best case scenario as far as I am concerned is that she stops smoking around him,
Exactly what I told you!! place the no-smoking-around-the-kid verbage in the CO and that's the end of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">