+ Reply to Thread
    az4vlad Guest

how does right of first refusal apply to stepparents/grandparents?

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Arizona
    Hi, I am trying to determine exactly what "right of first refusal" means in the parenting plan. How does it include stepparents and grandparents? For example, if the mother is working, and its her parenting time, does the father get first dibs at taking care of the child? Or does the mother get to give the child to grandma or to her new husband the stepparent while she's at work, and it's only if those immediate family aren't available that the dad would get the child?

Thanks,

R.
    Seanscott is offline Member
    Just an opinion - If Mom has the child as part of a court order, and she goes to work, I would imagine it is Mom's decision who watches the child.
    Whyte Noise is offline Senior Member
    If the parenting plan states the father has the right of first refusal, then yes, the father has first dibs on keeping the child. That's what right of first refusal IS. He has to be asked FIRST about keeping the child, and then, if he declines, the mother can get whomever she chooses. You have it backwards in your post. It's only when DAD isn't available that the child goes to other family members.
    az4vlad Guest

Reply to MissouriGal

Hi,

Thanks for your post. So, let me get this straight - if mom cannot take care of the child on her time, then she is supposed to ask father first, NOT just dump the child with her new husband the stepparent?
    See, my situation is that the father WANTS to have the child when the mom is at work and dumping the child with her latest husband, but we don't know if right of first refusal means this or not.

R.
    Whyte Noise is offline Senior Member
    Having the "Right of First Refusal" basically means that before either parent can use the services of a baby-sitter or other third-party caregiver, the other parent must be given the opportunity to care for the child during that time.

Click here: [url]http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/firstrefusal.htm[/url]

Glad to help.