• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How exactly are the child support guidelines calculated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T&GDAD

What is the name of your state? VA

I was curious where the determination of a child's needs based on a percentage of a parent's income came from. In the case of a CP who remarries her actual COL decreases extensively since she no longer needs to provide a house, utilities, car and all the large expenses. This is especially evident when the new husband earns enough that she no longer needs to work. It would seem fair to the NCP to be able to reduce his payments so he could provide a better quality of life for the children when they are in his care. Also why does one need to have the children more than 90 days per year to have the percentage reduced?

Silverplum

I was curious where the determination of a child's needs based on a percentage of a parent's income came from. In the case of a CP who remarries her actual COL decreases extensively since she no longer needs to provide a house, utilities, car and all the large expenses. This is especially evident when the new husband earns enough that she no longer needs to work. It would seem fair to the NCP to be able to reduce his payments so he could provide a better quality of life for the children when they are in his care. Also why does one need to have the children more than 90 days per year to have the percentage reduced?
You'd need to discuss this with the lawmakers that provided these rules. I'm quite sure no one here is one of those people.

fairisfair

Uh, could that possibly be because it remains the PARENT'S responsibility to support their own children?? Ya think??? Because that is 25% of the time???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">