• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How far within state can i move with joint custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jenniferx77x

I live in the state of New Jersey and I want to move around 16 miles from father (around 25 minutes away). I am the residential parent. I currently reside in Mercer County and want to move to middlesex county.

LdiJ

I live in the state of New Jersey and I want to move around 16 miles from father (around 25 minutes away). I am the residential parent. I currently reside in Mercer County and want to move to middlesex county.
Will your move have any impact on dad's parenting time?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Depending on where in each county, it's going to be ~1 hour additional travel time. I'd likely offer Dad that I'd take care of the additional transportation the move causes.

Jenniferx77x

No it will not impact parenting time and I am willing to drop off and pick up. Do I need permission from court in the state of NJ (mercer county) to move 15.5 miles away?

ecmst12

Since this will likely involve changing the school district, you will need permission from dad OR the court to move. If dad agrees, then you have no problem. You will need to notify him and give him the opportunity to object.

mistoffolees

Since this will likely involve changing the school district, you will need permission from dad OR the court to move. If dad agrees, then you have no problem. You will need to notify him and give him the opportunity to object.
If Dad doesn't agree, then you'll have to present an argument to the court as to why it's better for the child(ren).

Since you're willing to provide the transportation, Dad can't use that argument against you.

So why is it better for the kids? Be prepared to provide a well-thought out and documented argument.

It's been over 15 years since I lived in NJ, but IIRC, Middlesex county is safer than Mercer county and has better schools. If that is correct, gather evidence to support it and to help justify the move if Dad won't agree.

But hopefully you can work it out and just send it to court as a stipulation. Since you'll provide transportation and the kids will be in a safer neighborhood with better schools (if my memory is correct), I would hope that Dad would be OK with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">