• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Get Added on to Birth Certificate and to Sign Over Custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Petunia360

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am the father i this case. My ex girlfried has agreed to give me custody of our daughter if I don't go after her for child support. Me and my family have been the only ones taking care of her since she was a baby, now I want to make it formal.

1. What is the procedure for me to get put on the birth certificate and get custody?

2. My ex has a pretty good job, but I got my hours cut back at my job so I am going to have to get Medi Cal and food stamps for my daughter for a while. Will California go after my ex for reimbursement for the medi-cal and food stamps or is that only if I file for child support?

I wasn't sure which forum I should post this in.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am the father i this case. My ex girlfried has agreed to give me custody of our daughter if I don't go after her for child support. Me and my family have been the only ones taking care of her since she was a baby, now I want to make it formal.

1. What is the procedure for me to get put on the birth certificate and get custody?

2. My ex has a pretty good job, but I got my hours cut back at my job so I am going to have to get Medi Cal and food stamps for my daughter for a while. Will California go after my ex for reimbursement for the medi-cal and food stamps or is that only if I file for child support?

I wasn't sure which forum I should post this in.
If you apply for Medi Cal and food stamps its quite possible that the state will force you to apply for child support.

However, if you can prove that status quo is the child living primarily with you, then you might not need mom's agreement to get primary custody.

There should be a family law facilitator's office or a self help center at one of your county courthouses. Go see them for help with the paperwork.

Hi

Your local Superior Court should have a Family Law Facilitator's Office. They have the forms there and will give you advice on how to fill it out. They will not give you *legal* advice.

You will have to write up a custody agreement on a blank declaration form as well. You will need 3 copies of all the paperwork (one for your ex, one for you, and one for the court) and must file it with the family law clerk as well as get a court date.

Keep a file folder just for your court paperwork.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">