• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get parental rights back??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandareed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma,
My son's father's rights where teminated 6 yrs ago, since then he has gotten the help he needed an doing better an we was wanting to know what steps need to be taken to get his rights back so he an legally be around his son an even possibly go live with him? any advice would be helpful...

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma,
My son's father's rights where teminated 6 yrs ago, since then he has gotten the help he needed an doing better an we was wanting to know what steps need to be taken to get his rights back so he an legally be around his son an even possibly go live with him? any advice would be helpful...

Please explain the circumstances.

Also, explain why this would be in your son's best interests.

Thanks.

mandareed

His fathers rights was taken away 6 yrs ago because he had spanked my son an there was a red mark on him, not a bruise just a red mark but the state still got involved and he was given a treatment plan but didn't complete what was asked of him resulting in the termination of his rights. Since then he was had a mental evaluation done an has been taking medication as instructed an has completed an anger management class an has showed tremendous improvement. My son is 11 an has had a relationship with his father prior to all that happening an has recently started acting out due to not being able to see or talk to his father but since I have went against the law an allowed him to talk to his father there has been improvement in his attitude an school performance so I feel my son can benefit a lot from having him in his life, I just want to make sure I am doing this the right way so I don't get in trouble..

Proserpina

His fathers rights was taken away 6 yrs ago because he had spanked my son an there was a red mark on him, not a bruise just a red mark but the state still got involved and he was given a treatment plan but didn't complete what was asked of him resulting in the termination of his rights. Since then he was had a mental evaluation done an has been taking medication as instructed an has completed an anger management class an has showed tremendous improvement. My son is 11 an has had a relationship with his father prior to all that happening an has recently started acting out due to not being able to see or talk to his father but since I have went against the law an allowed him to talk to his father there has been improvement in his attitude an school performance so I feel my son can benefit a lot from having him in his life, I just want to make sure I am doing this the right way so I don't get in trouble..

I do not see your ex obtaining ANY rights to your son.

And frankly, YOU risk losing your son by exposing him to what is, effectively, your son's abuser.

Watch your step, Mom. Be very careful. You REALLY need to rethink this. This man was found to have been abusive, and not only have you apparently broken the law and allowed contact but you're encouraging it.

mandareed

I am being careful but what is the differance if he would have completed these requirments 6 yrs ago then he would still have his rights. If he is willing to do what is asked then I really dont see a problem with it an he has already gotten alot of help. We just want to make sure all the legal sides are taken care of so no one gets in trouble..

Isis1

if child services was involved in the parental right's termination, you are risking losing custody of the child yourself.

my ex spanked our son and left a red mark. he was NEVER charged with anything. child services didn't even require him to do a darn thing. so i don't buy your story of dad only spanking the child.

Proserpina

I am being careful but what is the differance if he would have completed these requirments 6 yrs ago then he would still have his rights. If he is willing to do what is asked then I really dont see a problem with it an he has already gotten alot of help. We just want to make sure all the legal sides are taken care of so no one gets in trouble..

Because it's obvious that the court decided that he is NOT a fit parent.

He could've turned into Mother Teresa's next incarnation and it wouldn't matter.

But go ahead - do what you want. Just be prepared to lose your son.

Permanently.

mandareed

You don't have to buy anything I know what happened an I have nothing to hide I am only trying to do whats right and Im here for information not to have people calling me a liar or anything else so please if you dont have helpful advice then don't post on my thread...

Proserpina

You don't have to buy anything I know what happened an I have nothing to hide I am only trying to do whats right and Im here for information not to have people calling me a liar or anything else so please if you dont have helpful advice then don't post on my thread...

No. You want to hear "Oh, that's fine! Yes, expose your son to the person who abused him and whose rights were terminated".

We're not going to tell you that.

We ARE trying to get it through to you though, that YOU risk losing your son.

Do you understand? :confused:

mandareed

I do understand that is why I am on here trying to get advice on how to legally go about this but instead you guys are trying to bash me for whatever reason, People get there kids taken away and given back all the time an people also make mistakes an learn from those mistakes. My son has yet to go around him but he does talk to him an before I did let him go visit I wanted to make sure I was doing this the right way. I guess I came to the wrong place for advice but thank you anyways for stating what risks I was already aware of..

Proserpina

I do understand that is why I am on here trying to get advice on how to legally go about this but instead you guys are trying to bash me for whatever reason,

You're not being bashed.

People get there kids taken away and given back all the time an people also make mistakes an learn from those mistakes.

No. Kids are removed from homes and reunited with the parent/s IF - and ONLY if - the parent/s complete whatever plan and requirements have been put in place.

Kids are NOT returned to parents whose rights have been legally terminated.

My son has yet to go around him but he does talk to him an before I did let him go visit I wanted to make sure I was doing this the right way. I guess I came to the wrong place for advice but thank you anyways for stating what risks I was already aware of..

Do you understand that legally, this man is NOT your son's father?

This is a legal stranger who abused your son.

But hey - again, do what you want.

mandareed

OK well I am done with this, I understand where you guys are coming from on this that is also why it has been 6 yrs since I have even considered this but knowing what he has done to better himself and knowing he is willing to do whatever classes or whatever else is needed so this is possible is the only reason I am even asking. Again I only posted this to get the advice on who I need to talk to or what needs to be done or to even file it with the court so they can be the final judge of if he deserves his rights back...

mandareed

ECMST12 No Im not looking for that, what I am looking for is ADVICE an so far I havent gotten any of that. Advice consist of actual steps that need to be taken not you guys telling me what I should or shouldnt do or the risks I may be taken if I didnt care what the law thought I wouldnt be on here asking how to do this the right way but again THANK YOU!!

Proserpina

OK well I am done with this, I understand where you guys are coming from on this that is also why it has been 6 yrs since I have even considered this but knowing what he has done to better himself and knowing he is willing to do whatever classes or whatever else is needed so this is possible is the only reason I am even asking. Again I only posted this to get the advice on who I need to talk to or what needs to be done or to even file it with the court so they can be the final judge of if he deserves his rights back...

There is nothing to file.

He is a legal stranger. He has NO standing to file for ANYTHING. And you can't do anything, either.

The court will NOT grant this man rights to the child he abused, since his rights were already terminated because of that abuse.

I'm sorry, I don't understand why that's so difficult to grasp? :confused::confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">