• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to go about having the biological father sign over his parental rights.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamativa

What is the name of your state? California The biological father of my daughter lives in Florida. I want him to give up his parental rights because I am currently engaged to a man who loves my daughter and takes care of her as if she were his own. He wants to eventually be able to adopt her. My daughter doesnt even know her biological father and I think its best to keep it that way. The biological father has agreed to give up his rights to my daughter but I dont know how to go about it. I really cant afford a lawyer but I need to take care of this as soon as possible. What can I do to take care of this? Is a lawyer really necisarry since the biological father is willing? Help plz!:(

Miss Lactation

mamativa said:
What is the name of your state? California The biological father of my daughter lives in Florida. I want him to give up his parental rights because I am currently engaged to a man who loves my daughter and takes care of her as if she were his own. He wants to eventually be able to adopt her. My daughter doesnt even know her biological father and I think its best to keep it that way. The biological father has agreed to give up his rights to my daughter but I dont know how to go about it. I really cant afford a lawyer but I need to take care of this as soon as possible. What can I do to take care of this? Is a lawyer really necisarry since the biological father is willing? Help plz!:(

How do you fly a Space Shuttle?

You see, we're not here to put you through law school, and I know you didn't come here to teach any of us to fly.

Zephyr

mamativa said:

if bio dad is not interested in being a dad why the ASAP?

you would have to wait until you and your fiance are married and probably then a year after that

mamativa said:
Yes, a lawyer is always good.

Since the Bio-Dad is willing to give up his parental rights....I only see an issue arising with the presiding judge. Even if both of y'all (biological parents) are in agreement, the judge will only issue orders in the best interest of the child.

With that being said....I can't stand people who remarry and think that PR sould be severed just because the new person/SO acts more in the way of a parent than the person you CHOSE to have kids with! (which is how your post comes off to me.)

Could you give a little insight as to the Bio-Dads involvement?

EDIT: Just realized that you are engaged as opposed to married. So where you see the words 'married' substitute engaged. I still stand by my advice.

Last edited:

Just Blue

mamativa said:

When you get married, you will have to wait at least a year before you can TPR.

baystategirl said:
When you get married, you will have to wait at least a year before you can TPR.
In addition to this, in California you must go through a home study. A county office will do a study of your home and family. They ask questions about your finances, your home life and habits, your personal and medical history, etc. This applies to both you and your new husband. They will run criminal background checks and will want copies of your paystubs, etc. They come to your home and look around and they also meet with you, the step-parent wanting to do the adoption, the child to be adopted and anyone else who lives in your home, including other children you may have. Then they write up a report for the judge either recommending the adoption or not. You have to pay for this study.

You didn't say how old your daughter is, but if she's over the age of 12, she must consent to the adoption. Your daughter will also need to be present in court.

On a more personal note, I would advise against never telling your daughter about her biological father. Some day she will find out about it and then may never forgive you for lying to her.

I hope this helps....

R

ronda_jeremy

Miss Lactation said:
How do you fly a Space Shuttle?

You see, we're not here to put you through law school, and I know you didn't come here to teach any of us to fly.
Geeze, IAAL would certainly be equipped to help, but he seems to have "quietly" launched himself onto another planet.

Zephyr

justmom611 said:
In addition to this, in California you must go through a home study. A county office will do a study of your home and family. They ask questions about your finances, your home life and habits, your personal and medical history, etc. This applies to both you and your new husband. They will run criminal background checks and will want copies of your paystubs, etc. They come to your home and look around and they also meet with you, the step-parent wanting to do the adoption, the child to be adopted and anyone else who lives in your home, including other children you may have. Then they write up a report for the judge either recommending the adoption or not. You have to pay for this study.

You didn't say how old your daughter is, but if she's over the age of 12, she must consent to the adoption. Your daughter will also need to be present in court.

On a more personal note, I would advise against never telling your daughter about her biological father. Some day she will find out about it and then may never forgive you for lying to her.

I hope this helps....

why would they do a study on mom???mom already HAS custody

E

eme76

mamativa said:
you might want to do some reading to understand how complex the process is

start here http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fam&group=07001-08000&file=7660-7670
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fam&group=08001-09000&file=9000-9007
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fam&group=09001-10000&file=9100-9102
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fam&group=09001-10000&file=9200-9206
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fam&group=09001-10000&file=9210-9212

a bit of non legal advice....
you might also want to think A LONG TIME about how this will effect your child long term

i can honestly say that i do not think my daughters father has any redeming qualities as a human...and i love my feance and he is WAY more of a "daddy" to her but even so i would not want to make that kind of choice for her...bottom line her father is her father and if she decides to kick him out of her life at some point that is her decision not mine

Zephyr

and you may want to do a search on this site and see just how many people end up regreting having their new spouse adopt their child.....if you and he were to divorce, technically he could get custody of the child.....I would think long and hard and be married WAAAAY more than a year before going through with this

LdiJ

Zephyr said:
why would they do a study on mom???mom already HAS custody
In my state (Indiana) a home study is done in every adoption..even stepparent or relative adoption.

ceara19

I have a question relating TPR & step parent adoption.

In California, after a parent's rights are terminated (for whatever reason), does the law mandate that the remaining parent must be MARRIED to the SO in order for the SO to legally adopt the child?

Shay-Pari'e

My opinion, it is a K'Dar. We all know how she lives and breath this internet forum. Too bad she can't take a simple walk to lift her spirits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">