• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to handle non-custodial parent if suspected drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noni

What is the name of your state? Texas is the state.
Joint custody has been given from a divorce. I am the custodial parent with my child living with me. Ex has right to see child per divorce papers; court order. What do I do since my ex has changed jobs numerous times, relocated several times in the recent months, pays no child support and now lives in a motel? I suspect drugs are involved. Ex has a documented history of drugs. My child is a little girl. Ex is her dad. I don't think its safe for her to be in a motel with her dad who seems to do drugs. How do I lawfully stop the visitation?

ceara19

noni said:
Joint custody has been given from a divorce. I am the custodial parent with my child living with me. Ex has right to see child per divorce papers; court order. What do I do since my ex has changed jobs numerous times, relocated several times in the recent months, pays no child support and now lives in a motel? I suspect drugs are involved. Ex has a documented history of drugs. My child is a little girl. Ex is her dad. I don't think its safe for her to be in a motel with her dad who seems to do drugs. How do I lawfully stop the visitation?
You'll have to file for a modification fo the original order. You'll need to have more than "I THINK he's using drugs". In most cases they won't just take away all of his visitation, but if they feel that visiting dad could be harmful to the child, they could change it to supervised only unti he straightens up.

B

betterthanher

noni said:
Joint custody has been given from a divorce. I am the custodial parent with my child living with me. Ex has right to see child per divorce papers; court order. What do I do since my ex has changed jobs numerous times, relocated several times in the recent months, pays no child support and now lives in a motel?
So what if he's changed jobs numerous times? So what if he's relocated several times? Is there a current order for child support? If so and he's not paying, then why aren't you filing show cause for contempt? So what if he lives in a motel?

I suspect drugs are involved. Ex has a documented history of drugs. My child is a little girl. Ex is her dad. I don't think its safe for her to be in a motel with her dad who seems to do drugs. How do I lawfully stop the visitation?
Hmm...let's look at the words you've used.

"Suspected". "Suspect". "seems".

You can't lawfully stop the visitation unless you have CONCRET PROOF that the child would be in harm while in dad's care. His documented history obviously didn't mean anything then and it won't now. Nice try, though.

Zephyr

noni said:

lots of people really go into a tailspin after a divorce, it doesn't always mean drugs, unless you have proof, you must have your child available for visits

ceara19

LdiJ said:
That one could actually matter....depending on the motel and its location.
It could, but lots of parents live in bad neighberhoods. So if living in the motel is the ONLY issue, she probably won't get far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">