• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to legally take kids out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tiffanywarner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

My boyfriend of 6 years and I are splitting up and I want to take my 3 kids back to my home state Washington. Two of my kids are in my full custody in hat state and I have a 7 month old who was born in Alaska. I want to know what I have to do to return home and leave him. He is the father of all three kids. Do I need a lawyer to grant me custody or do I file something with the courts?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

My boyfriend of 6 years and I are splitting up and I want to take my 3 kids back to my home state Washington. Two of my kids are in my full custody in hat state and I have a 7 month old who was born in Alaska. I want to know what I have to do to return home and leave him. He is the father of all three kids. Do I need a lawyer to grant me custody or do I file something with the courts?

How long have you all lived in Alaska?

Proserpina

Since 2009

Here's the deal.

Assuming there are no court orders preventing you from doing so, you are free to leave with the kids.

And Dad is then perfectly free to file in court in Alaska to have the kids returned. If he does that, you're going to have to show the court - in Alaska - why it's in THEIR best interests to be relocated away from their other parent.

Can you do that? Why is it in their best interest? Are you ready to go back and forth to Alaska until the matter is solved (or, more expensively, hire an attorney to fight your battle there)?

Tiffanywarner

I want what's best for them.. Thing is I'm a stay at home mom at the moment and I can't afford to hire an attorney. I work some on the weekends but not enough. I figured I'd have to go to court to fight just thought I might have a way around it because I don't want me not having a full time job to cause me to lose custody.

Proserpina

I want what's best for them.. Thing is I'm a stay at home mom at the moment and I can't afford to hire an attorney. I work some on the weekends but not enough. I figured I'd have to go to court to fight just thought I might have a way around it because I don't want me not having a full time job to cause me to lose custody.

What's honestly best for them is to have regular access to both of their parents.

If you are permitted to relocate, there's a better-than-good chance that you'll be paying for ALL transportation to-and-from Dad's place in Alaska.

Can you afford to do that?

Tiffanywarner

He is hardly home to see them as it is. He goes out on weekends and when he is home he doesn't interact with them. Says he's too tired. He'd fight for them to spite me. So I'm in a bind.

Just Blue

He is hardly home to see them as it is. He goes out on weekends and when he is home he doesn't interact with them. Says he's too tired. He'd fight for them to spite me. So I'm in a bind.
Can you afford to pay for ALL visitation transportation costs? Several times a year?

Proserpina

Mom, we get what you're saying. But come on - you have THREE kids with him. Having one and discovering his parenting style is douchetastic is one thing. But three?

And I heavily doubt that he doesn't interact at all. Heavily doubt that.

You're not in a bind. You have options in Alaska. If you wish to relocate, I strongly advise you to have a chat with a local attorney in Alaska. They can advise you on how the local judges tend to rule.

Tiffanywarner

Let me refraise doesn't interact how a father should. And yea dumb on my part!! Haha totally get that. But I have no family in Alaska and I need famiy support. I plan on calling around tomorrow just wanted a direction to head in.

Proserpina

Let me refraise doesn't interact how a father should. And yea dumb on my part!! Haha totally get that. But I have no family in Alaska and I need famiy support. I plan on calling around tomorrow just wanted a direction to head in.

Your KIDS have family there - their FATHER.

This isn't about you, Mom.

It's also not about how you think he "should" interact. You need to get used to the fact that you're both going to have different parenting styles. Again though you've said nothing about why this would be in their best interests.

And can you afford the transportation several times a year? You're okay with losing most of the summer and alternate holidays - EVERY YEAR?

Just Blue

Your KIDS have family there - their FATHER.

This isn't about you, Mom.

It's also not about how you think he "should" interact. You need to get used to the fact that you're both going to have different parenting styles. Again though you've said nothing about why this would be in their best interests.

And can you afford the transportation several times a year?
You're okay with losing most of the summer and alternate holidays - EVERY YEAR?
Tiff seem to not want to answer this question...wonder why?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">