• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is a 17 year old allowed to live away from home with a parent's consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mortimer423

Georgia

I live in Georgia. I have been trying to move my 17 year old girlfriend out of her house and I know that she needs her parents' consent. Her mom is willing to give consent for her to live at my friend’s house but she has joint custody of her with her former husband who lives far away. When her mom told her she could move out I helped move her into my friend’s house. She triggered an alarm in the house and the cops showed up to see who it was and found her there and took her home because she didn't have proof she had consent to live there. They talked to her mom and told her that she could get in legal trouble if she kicked her dependant out. Could her mom give my girlfriend a legally acceptable form of consent for her to live elsewhere without her distant father having to consent as well? I read that a minor can legally live elsewhere for up to 6 months as long as the parent gives consent and knows where the minor is going to live. Is this true?
I have looked up emancipation through marriage but the father would not consent to letting her get a marriage license and both signatures would be needed.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Georgia

I live in Georgia. I have been trying to move my 17 year old girlfriend out of her house and I know that she needs her parents' consent. Her mom is willing to give consent for her to live at my friend’s house but she has joint custody of her with her former husband who lives far away. When her mom told her she could move out I helped move her into my friend’s house. She triggered an alarm in the house and the cops showed up to see who it was and found her there and took her home because she didn't have proof she had consent to live there. They talked to her mom and told her that she could get in legal trouble if she kicked her dependant out. Could her mom give my girlfriend a legally acceptable form of consent for her to live elsewhere without her distant father having to consent as well? I read that a minor can legally live elsewhere for up to 6 months as long as the parent gives consent and knows where the minor is going to live. Is this true?
I have looked up emancipation through marriage but the father would not consent to letting her get a marriage license and both signatures would be needed.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If Princess isn't living with Mom, she should be living with Dad; not with some dude in a party hovel. :cool:

mortimer423

If Princess isn't living with Mom, she should be living with Dad; not with some dude in a party hovel. :cool:
Her dad is trailer trash living in hickville. She'd have to go to a different school and live an hour away from me. Whenever she has spent the night with him the family doesn't seem to mind that there are rats and ****roaches and stuff living there. Nasty. I'm just asking if her mom can consent to her living at a friend's house, which she is willing to do, without the father's consent.

Isis1

Her dad is trailer trash living in hickville. She'd have to go to a different school and live an hour away from me. Whenever she has spent the night with him the family doesn't seem to mind that there are rats and ****roaches and stuff living there. Nasty. I'm just asking if her mom can consent to her living at a friend's house, which she is willing to do, without the father's consent.
living with dad is still better than living with boyfriend.

she can shack up with you the the split second she turns 18.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dad living an hour away is NOT living distant. The parents would be foolish to allow their daughter to effectively move in with you. And don't tell us she'll be living with "your friend". None of us were born yesterday.

I am placing my bet at 14 months. That's how long it will take for the OP to be back complaining that his ex-gf won't let him see his child.

mistoffolees

Georgia

It works like this:

1. She needs the permission of BOTH parents to move out. If Mom doesn't want her, then she should be living with her Dad - your opinion on whether he's 'good enough' for her is completely irrelevant.
2. If you go against the parents' wishes (and/or move her without notifying both parents), you could find yourself in big legal trouble.
3. Regardless of the legalities, there are reasons kids have parents - and parents get to make decisions. You already know that her father won't go along with your little scheme, so if you were as mature as you're pretending to be, you'd honor his wishes rather than trying to find ways around them.

You have a LOT of growing up to do and I'm guessing the little girl does, too. Give yourselves some time to become adults (not just chronologically, but emotionally, as well) before trying to embark on your future. With current life expectancy tables, you have about 65-70 years ahead of you. What's the hurry?

mortimer423

This isn't a very professional site. I was expecting a response from a lawyer for some reason. I didn't need opinions, just to know whether or not it was legal. I guess I need to try for a marriage license then. and why would I lie about her living with a friend? I still live with my parents and they don't want her living here but my friend has a house of his own.

Silverplum

This isn't a very professional site.
In what manner, precisely? I would very much like to know your thoughts.

mortimer423 said:
I was expecting a response from a lawyer for some reason.
The TOS makes it clear you are not to expect such, though sometimes we are graced with one or two.

mortimer423 said:
I didn't need opinions,
They're free.

mortimer423 said:
just to know whether or not it was legal.
That would mean legal advice, which you clearly received. Whether or not you liked it is of no matter.

mortimer423 said:
I guess I need to try for a marriage license then. and why would I lie about her living with a friend? I still live with my parents and they don't want her living here but my friend has a house of his own.
I wonder why it is that you are, as you stated in your first post, trying to move her out of her home?

Silverplum

I am placing my bet at 14 months. That's how long it will take for the OP to be back complaining that his ex-gf won't let him see his child.
Well, then, I'll take the slot at 13 months. (I considered 15, but it's like spinning the wheel again on "The Price Is Right.")

No, it'll be 14 months:

Month #1 - They will revel in how "responsible" they are being by not sleeping together....until that one night.

Month #2 - #10 - GF is pregnant.

Month #11-12 - OP and GF will be a wonderful happy family.

Month #13 - GF hates OP, dumps him, and refuses to allow him to see Child.

Month #14 - OP starts seeing a new 17yo who wants to play mommy. OP is right back here.....

See how that works? Mark it on your calendars, folks.

OP, you don't like people judging you without knowing the whole story? Hmmm..... :rolleyes: Besides rats and roaches can make great pets!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">