• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Long Does it Take to Get Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Screwed99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I have three questions. My son was born on 8/26/2008 and is almost six weeks old.

1). How long will it take before my visitation rights will kick in and I can have him every other week end and every second holiday? This is the standard visitation schedule in the State of IL.

2). Is it possible go get supervised / non supervised visitation now? (We have been separated since January and no longer live together).

3). I have been paying spousal support as she maintains that she cannot work. How long after the birth will the judge typically give her before she will be expected to return to work? Child support has not been determined yet.

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have three questions. My son was born on 8/26/2008 and is almost six weeks old.

1). How long will it take before my visitation rights will kick in and I can have him every other week end and every second holiday? This is the standard visitation schedule in the State of IL.

2). Is it possible go get supervised / non supervised visitation now? (We have been separated since January and no longer live together).

3). I have been paying spousal support as she maintains that she cannot work. How long after the birth will the judge typically give her before she will be expected to return to work? Child support has not been determined yet.

Thanks!
How long does it take you to file in court for visitation?

Isis1

Thanks!
has the court addressed visitation at this time? was it even proposed? have you submitted a parenting plan? did the judge give a date? temporary visitation plan?

just because that is standard doesn't mean you will get that exact schedule.

Screwed99

has the court addressed visitation at this time? was it even proposed? have you submitted a parenting plan? did the judge give a date? temporary visitation plan?

just because that is standard doesn't mean you will get that exact schedule.
No visitation addressed in court yet, not proposed yet, no parenting plan yet. Next court date is 10/20/2008 and we are hoping to address visitation then.

Isis1

No visitation addressed in court yet, not proposed yet, no parenting plan yet. Next court date is 10/20/2008 and we are hoping to address visitation then.
have you talked to mom yet about bonding with the baby? even if it means hanging out at her house for a few hours?

LdiJ

Thanks!
There is no exact amount of time that it may take...particularly no exact amount of time that it will take to get you to every other weekend and every other holiday.

The longer it takes you to file for visitation, the longer it will take for it to happen.

With infants, the schedule often changes every few months or so, a "graduated" plan. However, that doesn't even get started until you file and get a court date, go through mediation etc. How long all of that takes depends on how backed up your court system is.

If you are in rural IL it might be a couple of months to get things started. If you are in the Chicago area it might take several months longer.

I do advise you to take every opportunity that your stbx will allow to spend time with your child, even if you have to do it in her presence. That will shorten the amount of time that you have to go through any kind of "graduated" schedule. If she will let you visit every day, DO IT.

As far as spousal support is concerned if you are not court ordered to pay spousal support, you are not required to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">