• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long does it usually take..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

julie4796

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Once the order is signed by a judge, how long does it usually take for the support to start?? Ex and I were finalized on 2/10.. as of yet I have not received one penny nor have they started taking it out of his check.. Trying to get through to CSEA is a joke!!

CMSC

Well, I will just tell you how mine went. My order was finalized Feb. of last year and it said in the order the first payment was due in Feb. does yours say when the order is to commence? If it states Feb. then is needs to send that payment in.

If the money is suppose to be withheld, (-are you certain it was going to be withheld?) it can take 4-6 weeks for garnishment to kick in.

J

julie4796

Thanks.. actually since November he should have been paying the agecny himself but he didnt. SO then he was supposed to start in Feb but claims he is broke... Just wondering how long the ganishment took..
Thanks R...

J

jamrav8

how long does it take?

after the order is granted about the deduction in the wages, the courts and collection agency have to send a income execution to the employer in order for them to start taking money and sending it to the collection agency and then the agency can start sending it to you. it does take a month or so, it could take less if you ask the agency to fax the job a copy and they can start it sooner.

D

DChristian112

BUT...

The papers could of already been received by NCPs employer. What happened to me was employer received papers to garnish wages, but they never did. My ex was even expecting it to happen, but his employer never complied. SO have your CSE check to see if they are in compliance.
Good Luck and God Bless!

J

jamrav8

how long does it take?

usually, from what i read, its against the law for the employer not to do what the court order says but sometimes it does happen and they don't comply. if a month passes, you can call the collection agency, ask them if they sent an income execution to the employer, ask how long its been since they sent it off. once a month hits, thats long enough. ask the collection agency to fax, call or contact the employer to see if they've started deducting the money and when? you have to sometimes get on these peoples nerves to let them know you mean business.

J

julie4796

I spoke with the agency today. THEY STILL DONT HAVE OUR ORDER FROM THE JUDGE YET so I have to fax it to them and they will enter it immediatley according to them.. Then forward the papers and order to his employer. BUT I do know this. THE DAY that his employer receives those papers, BY LAW they have to begin with holding the support...so DC either your Exs employer is willing to break the law or someone is telling you BS...and BTW CSEA informed me today that it is a FEDERAL law...

J

jamrav8

how long does it take?

good, you've been doing your homework and calling around. as a matter of fact, since they said they don't have the order from the judge yet, either call the court house, ask them how can you get a message to the judge or does he have an answering service, tell the receptionist or say on the answering machine, how come the judge hasn't sent the order yet, you've called the collection agency and they told you he hasn't sent it yet. ask what the hold up is. give it another 2 weeks and see if the collection agency has made any progress. like i said, keep bothering them so they'll get on their job.

CMSC

julie4796 said:
I spoke with the agency today. THEY STILL DONT HAVE OUR ORDER FROM THE JUDGE YET so I have to fax it to them and they will enter it immediatley according to them.. Then forward the papers and order to his employer. BUT I do know this. THE DAY that his employer receives those papers, BY LAW they have to begin with holding the support...so DC either your Exs employer is willing to break the law or someone is telling you BS...and BTW CSEA informed me today that it is a FEDERAL law...

Really? I guess the laws can be different in every state. But did you look up the Federal law before buying CSEA's line? The day the employer receives the support withholding order, they have so many days AFTER the first pay period to withhold the money. Obviously they can't withhold until the obligor is paid.

It takes a month or so before the judge turns in a signed order, in many courts.

B

Boxcarbill

julie4796 said:
Yes much of child support enforcement is federal mandate. Hence the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. Here is the link for the U.S. department of Health and Human Resource, Office of Child Support Enforcement Home Page.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cse/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">