+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    armouredone is offline Member

How many children can share a bedroom?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was under the impression that if you own your home you can have as many people living in it as you want, and that siblings can share bedrooms regardless of age and gender. I thought that the only time there were limits on this was in the case of subsidized housing or foster parents.

My friends all agree that you cannot let opposite-sexed children share a room after five years old, and that there has to be a certain number of bedrooms for the number of children in your home. They believe that if these standards aren't met then CPS can remove children from an otherwise loving and abuse-free home. They also said that children of the opposite sex can't sleep with their parents.

I currently (mom) share a queen-sized bed with my daughter because we live with my dad in his teeny two-bedroom house. My friends said that if she were a boy she would be taken away. I am finding all of this a little hard to believe because in this house (750 sq feet) used to live both of my parents, me, my two sisters and my teenaged uncle that my parents had guardianship over. We slept on couches or roll away beds if we had to, and we were all perfectly happy.

What does the law say about this?
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    You won't find a "law" that would support that. If the daughter was a son instead, nothing says that son couldn't sleep on bed and mom on couch, or vice versa.
    That's what I was thinking. How many kids DON'T crawl into bed with mom and/or dad??
    Knowalot is offline Member

Don't Listen to "Friends"

They do not seem to have your best interests at heart. Get some new friends or tell these people to MYOB. If it is really worrisome to you, consult a professional - attorney, therapist or even CPS.
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Anyone remember the semi-affluent suburban Califormia family in Polterquiest (Craig T Nelson & Jobeth Williams)? The two younger kids shared a bedroom, boy and girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowalot View Post
    They do not seem to have your best interests at heart. Get some new friends or tell these people to MYOB. If it is really worrisome to you, consult a professional - attorney, therapist or even CPS.
    I didn't mean to imply that my friends were picking on me in any way. They haven't said anything negative about my living situation. We were just debating on the matter because it somehow came up and it was mentioned that if my daughter were a boy she couldn't share a bed with me even if we had 100 bedrooms!
    mistoffolees is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by armouredone View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was under the impression that if you own your home you can have as many people living in it as you want, and that siblings can share bedrooms regardless of age and gender. I thought that the only time there were limits on this was in the case of subsidized housing or foster parents.

My friends all agree that you cannot let opposite-sexed children share a room after five years old, and that there has to be a certain number of bedrooms for the number of children in your home. They believe that if these standards aren't met then CPS can remove children from an otherwise loving and abuse-free home. They also said that children of the opposite sex can't sleep with their parents.

I currently (mom) share a queen-sized bed with my daughter because we live with my dad in his teeny two-bedroom house. My friends said that if she were a boy she would be taken away. I am finding all of this a little hard to believe because in this house (750 sq feet) used to live both of my parents, me, my two sisters and my teenaged uncle that my parents had guardianship over. We slept on couches or roll away beds if we had to, and we were all perfectly happy.

What does the law say about this?
    Check the zoning laws in your community. Some communities have rules about how many people may reside in a given number of bedrooms. They won't care who sleeps where, but there may be an upper limit in numbers.
    CJane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife View Post
    Anyone remember the semi-affluent suburban Califormia family in Polterquiest (Craig T Nelson & Jobeth Williams)? The two younger kids shared a bedroom, boy and girl.
    And look what happened to them! CPS didn't take the kids, the poltergeist did!
    WittyUserName is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJane View Post
    And look what happened to them! CPS didn't take the kids, the poltergeist did!
    Right out of the TV, too! To this day, I can't look at that no signal/snow pattern without a moment of fear.
    CJane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
    Right out of the TV, too! To this day, I can't look at that no signal/snow pattern without a moment of fear.
    And I never ever leave the closet door open. Even a crack.

In fact, the house I live in now? No closets at all.
    Mom_of_Two is offline Member
    Funny! Same here Just like CJane, I have to close the closet doors. I will go into my son's room at night and close it when he's asleep.
    I've remained with the fear of a maggoty chicken drumstick. Ewww
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Do they even HAVE "test signals" anymore? Or an end of the broadcast day?
    Ghosts aside...I'm pretty sure the Duggar's crammed 15+ kids in two little bedrooms before they built that huge house. Didn't they?
    WittyUserName is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife View Post
    Do they even HAVE "test signals" anymore? Or an end of the broadcast day?
    I don't know; I think they fill up that time with infomercials for chicken rotisseries and shake weights now. But I do see the static from time to time when switching over from the DVD player to the Wii, and I think of that ghostly hand stretching out....gives me the woobies, bad.