• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much for Child Support (average)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joe_124

I want to get a quick idea of what everyone pays for Child Support. I may end up paying child support.
I live in Minnesota, and make 67K a year. Not married, neither is she. She also has a 6 year old kid by a different dad who pays very little for child support. She probably makes 25K a year.

It would be nice to get some general stats on this. What percentage of your gross pay do people typically pay?

R

Ron57

It depends on the state you live in and varies from state to state and income.

Generally most states have formula's to go by.

You caould call your state child support office and they can give you the web page or send you a copy of their guidelines for you to figure out what you would be responsible for.

mrmagoo

joe, check the web for minnesota child support calculators. just to give you an idea. With you making 67k a year, the support for 1 kid is (25%), 2 (30%), 3 (35%)...

For one kid, you will be required to pay $1400 mo, 2 ($1700), not to mention you will be required to pay for medical and dental as well foot the bill for any excesses in those bills not covered.

Hope this helps...

H

hound dog

Joe do not panic . I know that sounds like alot of money but have you thought about fighting for 50/50 custody where you will not have to pay. Do you live close to her where you can share custody. I believe fathers should be there as much as mothers. I also believe the courts should offer 50/50 custody in all custody orders except for the exceptions of course. Think about it that way you ae helping raise your child on a every week bases instead of four days a month. i would get a lawyer right now and ask for that.

J

joe_124

thanks hound dog

Thanks Hound dog, I appreciate that kind of advice. I was planning on helping raising the child anyway, and I thought that I would be basically forced into staying with her or marrying her to avoid a huge child support payment which would basically prevent me from being able to afford another child down the road, if I get married to someone else.

I

ILoveMY3

Joe,

I agree with hound dog. Go for 50/50 custody and save some of that income to spend on the child when the child is with you. Also, you don't want her to get into the habbit of taking you back to court every time she thinks that you're making more money.

G

Grandma B

With 50/50 custody, you would most likely still be required to pay some amount of child support because of the disparity in your incomes; however, it would be considerably less. Your child would benefit greatly by virtue of a closer relationship with both you and the mother. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">