• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how old does a child have to be to decide where they want to live?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patton_patrick

I live in Las Vegas and want to keep my little sister with me until our mother goes into a treatment program. She is 12 and I am 28, is she old enough to choose where she wants to live?

I'm no lawyer, but the areas I have researched, most courts consider age 12 old enough to decide. HOWEVER, it is only a determining factor, the judge may overrule desire to make sure that she is in the best possible situation. In otherwords, they take it into account, but it is not a sole measure of who gets custody.

Right, it's a matter of opinion that the court considers when deciding modifications. It is NOT the determining factor. In Oklahoma, Texas and Arizona they take it into account in a custody dispute.

Hisbabygirl77

karenwalker you need to remember that this is not a case of parent vs parent wanting custody. Her sister has no legal right to this child. If the mother AND father do not agree to her having custody it is going to be a long uphill battle.

Babygirl77, You are ABSOLUTELY correct; I misread (probably should put my damn glasses on). I think that this should be mentioned in the Grandparent thread as they might shed more insight onto the situation. As a non-parent the rules are completely different, so you really should seek advice in that more practiced thread :)

You have a long battle ahead, and I wish you luck!

LdiJ

KarenWalker said:
Right, it's a matter of opinion that the court considers when deciding modifications. It is NOT the determining factor. In Oklahoma, Texas and Arizona they take it into account in a custody dispute.
Karen...when its a parent vs a third party (such as sibling, grandparent or anyone who isn't a parent) the kids wishes ARE NOT taken into consideration at all....they can't be...its a constitutional issue.

snostar

BTW, Georgia is the ONLY state that has a law with provisions which dictates a child can decide at the age of 14 where they will live.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
KarenWalker said:
Babygirl77, You are ABSOLUTELY correct; I misread (probably should put my damn glasses on). I think that this should be mentioned in the Grandparent thread as they might shed more insight onto the situation. As a non-parent the rules are completely different, so you really should seek advice in that more practiced thread :)

You have a long battle ahead, and I wish you luck!
You realize it's all the same people posting in that thread as here, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">