• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to prove an unfit parent???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gzzzr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I just recieved a copy of my sons report card(who is in Kindergarden) and it shows that he is doing very well in school but he has missed 11 days of school, 7 of which were excused and 4 unexcused, also he has been tardy 9 times. That is just in the first quarter of school. I have heard of custody of a child being given to the other parent if the child has missedd to much school. Can anyone tell me if there is any law in Wisconsin consirning this?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Has it occurred to you to talk to Mom and find out what's going on - and how you can help?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I just recieved a copy of my sons report card(who is in Kindergarden) and it shows that he is doing very well in school but he has missed 11 days of school, 7 of which were excused and 4 unexcused, also he has been tardy 9 times. That is just in the first quarter of school. I have heard of custody of a child being given to the other parent if the child has missedd to much school. Can anyone tell me if there is any law in Wisconsin consirning this?

Why did it take you until the END of the first quarter to know how many days of school your child has missed? And no, this doesn't mean mom is unfit.

Gzzzr

Has it occurred to you to talk to Mom and find out what's going on - and how you can help?
The mother of my son is not cooperative with me and anytime I ask her about anything that is going on while he is with her, she gets upset and basiclly tells me that it's none of my busness.
On 2 occassions my son has been to the ER without my knoledge. I had to find out from my son who is 6.

Gzzzr

Why did it take you until the END of the first quarter to know how many days of school your child has missed? And no, this doesn't mean mom is unfit.
She doesn't communicate with me and she was ordered to give me a copy of his report card and any other vital info from the school. She has neglected to do so and because of that I have missed his confrence and 2 programs. She also lives in another city than where I live so it makes it a little diffecult for me to check in on his school.

Now that I got this info that she has tried to keep from me I most deffently will be keeping tabs on his schooling.

And please if you don't have any "LEGAL ADVICE" don't reply. Thank you.

Gzzzr

And you haven't kept in touch with the school...why?
I did not think I would have to because my sons mother should have passed any info on to me. It's called have a little faith in someone to do the right thing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She doesn't communicate with me and she was ordered to give me a copy of his report card and any other vital info from the school. She has neglected to do so and because of that I have missed his confrence and 2 programs. She also lives in another city than where I live so it makes it a little diffecult for me to check in on his school.

Now that I got this info that she has tried to keep from me I most deffently will be keeping tabs on his schooling.

And please if you don't have any "LEGAL ADVICE" don't reply. Thank you.
No it doesn't. PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL! Good grief. You don't want my advice, FINE. I will make your wish come true.

Gzzzr

No it doesn't. PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL! Good grief. You don't want my advice, FINE. I will make your wish come true.
Not that I don't want it. It's not needed. I need LEGAL ADVICE. Believe me, If I knew that she wasn't going to take my son to school I would have keep in close contact with the school. I would also go pick him up and take him to school myself if I knew she was not going to.

Humusluvr

Not that I don't want it. It's not needed. I need LEGAL ADVICE. Believe me, If I knew that she wasn't going to take my son to school I would have keep in close contact with the school. I would also go pick him up and take him to school myself if I knew she was not going to.
Ohiogal is the forum legal expert. She could save you a lot of grief and aggravation by taking her advice.

Or, you could pay to have an attorney sit down with you and tell you the same thing.

Here is some LEGAL ADVICE: Proving Mom is unfit is going to take a little more effort on your part.

Google your child's school and see if they have a website (most do). You can use the info you find there to get in contact with your son's teacher and principal and ask that they mail you copies of stuff that gets sent home with your son. I am sure your son's teacher will be agreeable to this as long as you help him/her out by providing self-addressed stamped envelopes. Viola! No more missed conferences, programs, etc AND you can learn more about your child's attendance when it issues occur instead of weeks later.

If your ex doesn't communicate with you, what made you think that she was going to hand you all pertinent school info on a silver platter? Your best bet is to be proactive. Will it prove that Mom is unfit? No, but it will ensure a closer relationship with your son.

Gzzzr

Here is some LEGAL ADVICE: Proving Mom is unfit is going to take a little more effort on your part.

Google your child's school and see if they have a website (most do). You can use the info you find there to get in contact with your son's teacher and principal and ask that they mail you copies of stuff that gets sent home with your son. I am sure your son's teacher will be agreeable to this as long as you help him/her out by providing self-addressed stamped envelopes. Viola! No more missed conferences, programs, etc AND you can learn more about your child's attendance when it issues occur instead of weeks later.

If your ex doesn't communicate with you, what made you think that she was going to hand you all pertinent school info on a silver platter? Your best bet is to be proactive. Will it prove that Mom is unfit? No, but it will ensure a closer relationship with your son.
I did just that this morning. your reply has been the help I have recieved pertaining to my origanal question. I have hear meny thing about my sons mother that are not to my liking and my son should not be subject to (i.e; drug abuse,prostitution,and so on....) I have talked to a lawyer and was told that it was all hear say and it would not stick in court. I was told that I would not be able to do anything till there is evidence that she is unfit (i.e; education, health...) and before I go back to spend more money on a lawyer, I was hoping that someone could give me legal advice on this situation. but untill now all I got was parenting advice.

Silverplum

I was hoping that someone could give me legal advice on this situation. but untill now all I got was parenting advice.
You don't have the native sense to tell the difference between the two. Neither do most posters.

When a family law attorney asks you questions about YOUR actions and attitudes, you'd best believe that these are the SAME questions you would be asked in Court, or in mediation.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did just that this morning. your reply has been the help I have recieved pertaining to my origanal question. I have hear meny thing about my sons mother that are not to my liking and my son should not be subject to (i.e; drug abuse,prostitution,and so on....) I have talked to a lawyer and was told that it was all hear say and it would not stick in court. I was told that I would not be able to do anything till there is evidence that she is unfit (i.e; education, health...) and before I go back to spend more money on a lawyer, I was hoping that someone could give me legal advice on this situation. but untill now all I got was parenting advice.
Glad I could help, but all I did was give you the same advice Ohiogal did. Granted, I did make it a little longer and put a pretty spin on it. :rolleyes:

Gzzzr

You don't have the native sense to tell the difference between the two. Neither do most posters.

When a family law attorney asks you questions about YOUR actions and attitudes, you'd best believe that these are the SAME questions you would be asked in Court, or in mediation.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I agree with you except I was asking if anyone knew what laws there are in WI pertaining to a childs education and attendence. I have tried searching for them and came to this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">