• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to relinquish parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nbulak

What is the name of your state? Texas

I live in Texas and I have been living with my boyfriend for about a year. We are expecting our first child together in October. He is abusive, and I want him to give up his parental rights. Can I type something up myself and have him sign it, and will it be legal.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Texas

I live in Texas and I have been living with my boyfriend for about a year. We are expecting our first child together in October. He is abusive, and I want him to give up his parental rights. Can I type something up myself and have him sign it, and will it be legal.
No, you CANNOT type up anything that would be legal. There's only one type of paper that is legal- that is a document/order that is properly filed and signed by a Judge.

Have you, or will you be recieving any public assistance? If so, the state will NOT allow a termination of parental rights because the state will enter a CS order.

IF your BF is truly abusive, you should get out right now, go to your local women's shelter for help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And while I agree with what Gracie said, you need to know something else -- you chose him, you are stuck with him as the father of your child for life. You do not get to decide now that you made a mistake.

sewall74

Relinquish parental rights

Actually there is a standard form, in Louisiana anyway that is used when you are giving a child up for adoption etc... that one parent can sign and it does not absolve the other party from paying child support.... I think you should go to a local university and inquire about free legal aid clinics. I am sure someone can help you, and please don't get downhearted about all the prissy people who are judging you - you make good decisions from today onward. You can't change the past. Now make good choices for your child. Chin up.
Sarah

Just Blue

Actually there is a standard form, in Louisiana anyway that is used when you are giving a child up for adoption etc... that one parent can sign and it does not absolve the other party from paying child support.... I think you should go to a local university and inquire about free legal aid clinics. I am sure someone can help you, and please don't get downhearted about all the prissy people who are judging you - you make good decisions from today onward. You can't change the past. Now make good choices for your child. Chin up.
Sarah
What a totally useless post. OP is in Texas. OP will NOT be able to have the FATHER of her child relinquish his rights. OP CHOSE to have a child with this nasty, abusive man and not must deal with him. That is the LEGAL facts of life.

CJane

and now must deal with him. That is the LEGAL facts of life.
Actually, she only has to deal with him IF paternity is established. While I don't advocate someone prevent a father from having a relationship, it IS possible, at least for awhile and if this man is REALLY as icky as she claims he's not likely to pursue visitation.

Remember that since they're not married, this child doesn't even HAVE a father. He has no rights to relinquish unless and until paternity is established and a court grants him rights.

And NO, that doesn't mean that your new boyfriend can just sign the BC and become daddy.

Shay-Pari'e

Sarah

Funny how this is your first post and you think the posters here are *Prissy*.:rolleyes:

LdiJ

Actually, she only has to deal with him IF paternity is established. While I don't advocate someone prevent a father from having a relationship, it IS possible, at least for awhile and if this man is REALLY as icky as she claims he's not likely to pursue visitation.

Remember that since they're not married, this child doesn't even HAVE a father. He has no rights to relinquish unless and until paternity is established and a court grants him rights.

And NO, that doesn't mean that your new boyfriend can just sign the BC and become daddy.
That may be the way to go....get out now, and don't establish paternity unless he chooses to do so himself. Of course, that means no welfare benefits and no child support.

No matter what, she needs to get out now.

nextwife

She can have him give up paternal rights IF HE also WISHES to do so - IN THE EVENT that she wants to give up her rights and make an adoption plan. In that case, she could have dad legally relinguish his rights, along with hers.

MrsK

Sarah
Not only is this a useless post, it is NOT TRUE.

You cannot TPR without someone to adopt, and it is NOT an easy process even if you do have someone to adopt.

OP, you made a huge mistake (getting pregnant when your boyfriend is abusive). Give the baby up for adoption, or get ready to deal with this man for the next 18+ yrs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">