• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to remove no-good father from child's life?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BelizeBreeze

leojj said:
I don't usally post any response, but sometimes stuff hits you the wrong way. I didn't insult you just your comment. I don't think kicking people when they are down is respectful. But to each there own. I think there is enough trolls on this site. Therefore I will go back to just reading and remember only a select few are ALOUD to voice anything! Have a wonderful evening.
Then show me where you gave this poster any valid legal advice?

I'll wait.

LdiJ

pvanosta said:
Understood. We will tread carefully.

However: even though the child does not bear his name, he is listed on the birth certificate (rather than 'Father Unknown').
Does that alter his need to prove paternity in court?
I am honestly not sure. Each state is a little different on that issue. In my state a judge would still require a paternity test. In other states being on the BC isn't good enough. A local attorney can best answer that question.

pvanosta

Thank you all

I have read and re-read the postings in this thread and I appreciate the advice.

Nagol818: we would never disparage the father to the child. We too hope that he will eventually mature into someone the child might want a relationship with.

BelizeBreeze: thanks for the info on that ruling. I will read it carefully.

In the meantime, we will try and set up some basic, well-delineated, supervised visits, where either I (the stepgranddad) or my stepdaughter's father (whom we get along with very well) will be present at all times.
Until the baby's father tries to escalate the issue, we will take no further action, other than perhaps a consultation with a lawyer, just to get up to speed on the California-specific legalities.

And while this is irrelevant to the discussion, it is possible that some of the more 'assertive' responses were caused by a subconscious vision of a softee grandad.
I am 44, 6 foot 5, 255 lbs and I work out 5 days a week.
Not your average fuddy-duddy :)

Thanks again.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
pvanosta said:
And while this is irrelevant to the discussion, it is possible that some of the more 'assertive' responses were caused by a subconscious vision of a softee grandad.

Thanks again.
Nope - had nothing to do with it. Who cares what any of you look like?

LdiJ

pvanosta said:

Thanks again.
Even the most "manly man" (lol) can be a creampuff when it comes to their kids....or be in denial when it comes to their kids.....or go into "protective mode" and not be able to see things objectively.

Your heart is obviously in the right place. Your daughter obviously grasps her mistakes.....and you are obviously understanding that the situation isn't necessarily simple. Keep going in that direction and you will help her make legally sound decisions.

Despite the slams, contradictions and general "clammor" of the responses you got you understood the basic message. That doesn't happen all that often. Give yourself a pat on the back for that.

he has no rights untill a court says so

untill theres a court order for visitation,your daughter doesnt have to allow him to see the baby,and he had no right to take the child.was paternity established? untill then,he has no rights,and he certainly had no right to take the child without the mothers permission.i know you dont like him,but this is something for your daughter to work out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">