• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How a single parent can get papers for child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shtira

What is the name of your state? California

I’m divorced and have full physical custody of my child, but I don’t have any prove papers for that. We came to US over 8 years ago, but my x stayed in my native country and never came to US. I’m not in any contact with him. Back there he gave permission for me to take the child abroad, and he never wanted any custody for the child there after. What should I do to get papers that prove I have full custody of my child?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

nextwife

Do you have any kind of official document, such as custody orders from your native country? For example, we have our original adoption decree from our daughter's country, which proves our legal rights as parents AND we obtained an "official" translation" as well, so that we have a document in English establishing evidence of the adoption that can be understood, if necessary, by any state or US official.

S

shtira

I don' have any kind of official document or custody orders from my country. I did have a written paper from my x that he gives permission to take my child out the country because it was required there as well. But I had to give this paper over there in order to take my child with me, and I don’t have any copy of it (copies of legal papers were not common over there, so I was not aware of any complications I could have later)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">