• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How will quitting my job affect my child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rwill

I need advise immediently! I live in Butler County, Ohio, I have been at my job for over 4 years now. I work 12 hour days, 6 days a week, on third shift. I am burned out. I have to work these hours because otherwise I can not survive on what I am bringing home after child support. On a regular 40 hour week I can't even afford to pay my house payment, so I work overtime, then my child support goes up because I have this added income. I can't win for losing. My ex has took me to court several times to get more support, and she keeps winning, even though she is very wealthy with her new husband. I have explained my situation to the courts but they could care a less if I am barely surviving.
I have seen a doctor several times due to stress and migraines from my job. I have spoken to my boss about this and he has no options for me. My question is; how would quitting my job affect my child support? I have thought about going into business for myself, but there is no way I will be able to pay the amount of child support that I am paying now. My ex would never agree to take a reduction. Will I be ordered to pay the same amount, would they make an adjustment, or am I basically stuck working at this job that is killing me, just so I can continue giving 60% of my check to my child support obligation? I do not want to get away from taking care of my children. I love them, they are my life and they are living very well. But, for once, I would like to benefit some way from my working my butt off.

S

smh33

Read your support order and your state support guidelines. Will tell you how court handles issue. Most states do not allow $ relief if one willingly quits job...every case different,every judge????

Jenifa

Quitting

If you willingly leave a job, most courts show no mercy, because they look at that as the NCP's effort to avoid child support. Only if you're laid off will they POSSIBLY lower the amount (and you can be without a job - the courts don't care, you're still obligated to pay support for your child- it will only acrue).

K

katkay

I am not sure about your state, but I do know that here in Texas, it is illegal for the courts to take more than 50% of your income. Quiting your job is not the answer. Maybe if you could find a job with better hours? If the courts are not listneing to you then you might need a better laywer. Use the internet to find the laws in your state. Try the penal codes, that is where I found my information. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">