• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to win full custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoeysmommy0412

Colorado
I'm writing this forum because I'm trying to obtain full custody of my one year old daughter. The father and I are going through a divorce because of his infidelity. I have record of me being the main provider for my daughter my ex has not worked nor held a job to help support us. He was recently convicted of a domestic violence charge against me as he slapped me in front of my child he served time and has yet to seal his case file. He has previous drug charges and previous violent misdemeanor charges. I'm trying to understand what my chances are at winning custody as he has not been working and is living in motels and has no vehicle as stated before I am the sole provider I work, take care of my daughter and have a stable place for her to stay until I get my own place. Please if anyone has any suggestions they will be very much appreciated as I have never gone through a custody battle before but I know I'm the right choice for my daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverplum

Colorado
I'm writing this forum because I'm trying to obtain full custody of my one year old daughter. The father and I are going through a divorce because of his infidelity. I have record of me being the main provider for my daughter my ex has not worked nor held a job to help support us. He was recently convicted of a domestic violence charge against me as he slapped me in front of my child he served time and has yet to seal his case file. He has previous drug charges and previous violent misdemeanor charges. I'm trying to understand what my chances are at winning custody as he has not been working and is living in motels and has no vehicle as stated before I am the sole provider I work, take care of my daughter and have a stable place for her to stay until I get my own place. Please if anyone has any suggestions they will be very much appreciated as I have never gone through a custody battle before but I know I'm the right choice for my daughter.
He's Dad: you cannot shove him away. You'll likely become the primary custodial parent, but Dad will be able to spend time with his child, also.

Learn about co-parenting, or be miserable and frustrated for the next 18 years.

Zoeysmommy0412

It'll give me a chance to raise my daughter around a healthier environment where she not having to be subjected to violence. I don't have to learn co parenting because he is not a fit parent, it's easy for you to support his rights as a father but you wouldn't support them if you knew him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It'll give me a chance to raise my daughter around a healthier environment where she not having to be subjected to violence. I don't have to learn co parenting because he is not a fit parent, it's easy for you to support his rights as a father but you wouldn't support them if you knew him.
What, EXACTLY, do you think having "full custody" will change about your present situation?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And he will STILL get parenting time, hon. Really.

Silverplum

You have a lot to learn, young person.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You know...I'm going to chalk this up to the OP being young and rude, but give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she does have the best interest of her child in mind...

Zoey,

Can you please explain what, exactly, having full custody will allow you to do? Once we know that, we may be able to better help you understand what you can actually expect compared to what you currently expect.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The fact remains - Dad will still get parenting time, even if you have full custody.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You have no clue. He is a fit parent. Not a fit partner, maybe. But a fit parent. You have no clue and need to realize that he will stand equal with you before the court.

LdiJ

You have no clue. He is a fit parent. Not a fit partner, maybe. But a fit parent. You have no clue and need to realize that he will stand equal with you before the court.
Maybe it would be better to say that he has not been legally established as an unfit parent.

anearthw

Do you have a divorce lawyer? Hopefully so, and that lawyer will help explain to you why awful parents are usually still "fit" parents (legally) and retain their lights. You're not going to just remove him from the child's life based on what you've written.

LdiJ

Legally, there is no difference between the two statements.
No, but there might be a difference in how the OP understands the statements. I tend to be of the school of thought that its better to explain things in a way that you are fairly sure that they will understand, rather than explaining it in a way that they may not understand.

Eekamouse

Here is someone who will do nothing to nurture a relationship between her ex and their mutual child. She will likely try to control how, when, what, where of the visits between the child and her father. She will be angry beyond belief when she finally realizes that she has to follow court orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">