• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband making $ decisions on his own

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kendall

After paying health insuarnce for children for 7 years, he has decided that when his job changed 17 months ago the insurance became unreasonable ($128 for two kids) and since our settlement says that we split other medical expenses 50/50 he decided that owe him half of what he has paid over the last 17 months and deducted some of it from my last payment (which he paid two months late) and the rest of it was from a reimbursement I sent for the 50/50 medical expenses. Can he do that?

Als, one son graduated from high school in June. Husband continued to send same amount of money. (but always sent it late) At the end of Dec, I had not received the checks for Nov or Dec. Then he send me the money for Nov and Dec but reduces the amount to what he thinks it should have been. Now we are now using a worksheet to correct the amount but can he just decide to reduce the amount after the fact and send me less with out an agreement to do so?

JETX

What does the Child Support agreement say???

All your questions should be answered by reading (and understanding) the agreement.

K

Kendall

The settlement says that he will pay for the health insurance as long as it reaonably available. It also says we will pay for the other medical expenses 50/50.

He got mad at me for sending a reimbursement for medical expenses (which I am allowed to do) and now he decided that for the last 17 months the health insuarnce was unreasonable (he changed jobs and the costs for the children was $128 - he makes $80,000 a year) so he decided that I owe him 50% of what he paid over the last 17 months.
He didn't send the reimbursement of 330.50 and he kept $759.60 out of my November and December child support payments which he sent at the end of December. He was late sending my checks all through 2000.

L

LadyBlu

Kendall said:
The settlement says that he will pay for the health insurance as long as it reaonably available. It also says we will pay for the other medical expenses 50/50.

He got mad at me for sending a reimbursement for medical expenses (which I am allowed to do) and now he decided that for the last 17 months the health insuarnce was unreasonable (he changed jobs and the costs for the children was $128 - he makes $80,000 a year) so he decided that I owe him 50% of what he paid over the last 17 months.
He didn't send the reimbursement of 330.50 and he kept $759.60 out of my November and December child support payments which he sent at the end of December. He was late sending my checks all through 2000.

File a motion to show cause with the court. He cannot just change the amount that is in the court order without getting a judges approval.

JETX

LadyBlu is correct in that either party cannot just unilaterally change the court ordered payments.

However, based on your post, it seems that one of the 'sides' was a little smarter than the other. By including the word "reasonable" in the order, they were able to cloud the issue. That makes the court order vague as to the definition of what is 'reasonable' (what might be reasonable to one, may not be to the other... as in this case).

Sounds to me like you will need to take this issue back to the Family Court and get a ruling. I suggest that you also consider amending the court order to SPECIFY what is unreasonable.... something like "in excess of X% of the monthly gross wages".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">