• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have full custody, he has no visitation, can I move away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kiki56031

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I have full custody of my 10 month old baby, the father lives in Iowa, I of course live in Minnesota. He does not want to see the baby and has no visitation order. Can I move to Colorado with my family (mom & dad)? I am also the one who wants to change my baby's last name to my last name, since he is going to have nothing to do with her, I feel it would be better for her to have the same last name as mine, the one who loves her and is caring for her.

We have never been married, but he did sign the Minnesota papers stating that he is the father, however, they also state that he has no legal rights to the child unless he takes me to court, which he does not want to do since he doesn't want to see her.

Last edited:

L

legalcuriosity

kiki56031 said:

I have full custody of my 10 month old baby, the father lives in Iowa, I of course live in Minnesota. He does not want to see the baby and has no visitation order. Can I move to Colorado with my family (mom & dad)? I am also the one who wants to change my baby's last name to my last name, since he is going to have nothing to do with her, I feel it would be better for her to have the same last name as mine, the one who loves her and is caring for her.
It's unclear, but were you two ever married? If not, has paternity ever been established. These are key questions before anyone can give you proper advice.

LdiJ

kiki56031 said:

Since he has no visitation orders and doesn't live in the same state you live in now, yes, you can move with your family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">