• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have sole custody, but want to give visitation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DBrownie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

how do i or who do i contact for advice about giving my childs father visitation or partial custody of our child a restraining order is current in efect against him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest that you go to court to establish paternity, custody, child support & visitation. The restraining order does not applied to court proceedings and it also likely has a statement that contact is allowed for the sole purpose of facilitating visitation for minor children.

Mamax2

Is the restraining order for just you, or you and your child (check wording)? Do you already have an agreement in place already, or are you looking to start working on one (it's note clear in your request)? Are you looking for dad to to have visitation, or custody? Based on different circumstances, there are different places to point you for help. If there has been domestic abuse allegations, then the courts in MN usually have a person (victim's advocate) that is the voice to the court for the victim. They have a myriad of agencies they can point you to that can help you.

If you can explain a bit more that would be helpful. :)

Zigner - not every one of those has that. Mine did NOT. When the OFP was put into place, he told the judge he specifically wanted something in there that a 3rd party facilitate the transfer of the child and picked a relative (because that isn't standard language). And, with my OFP, it did NOT specify anything about being ok to be in court. We had to get the judges ok through the victim's advocate for me to be in the court room.

Darn check boxes don't have every scenerio laid out... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">