• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I may be held in contempt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

In my court order for parenting time it states that I am to remain compliant with (facility) in mental health services. (Anxiety disorder)
I was discharged from that facility a few months ago and have not been in any services. FOC states that the facility reported to them that I was not in compliance. But I have a letter from them saying that my therapist and I mutually agree to end services.

My ex has filed a complaint with FOC about me not being in treatment so we have a show cause hearing coming up. Would that letter from the facility show that I was in fact in compliance and they just ended my services?

The show cause is also for my EX to show cause for denying visitation the weekend of July 5th. In the papers I got, it says that she responded that I had not taken my visitation in two months prior to that and I only let her know the day of pick up that I would be exercising my time. I have documentation that I had taken visitation regularly during that time and that I contacted her 3 days before the pick up date and stated that I would be exercising my time. But my question is, how did she respond? I filled a complaint the Monday after denial and this is the first I'm hearing of it. But she filled a complaint as well, and I did not get a chance to respond. I didn't know they let you respond. I've never been at risk of being in contempt before.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

In my court order for parenting time it states that I am to remain compliant with (facility) in mental health services. (Anxiety disorder)
I was discharged from that facility a few months ago and have not been in any services. FOC states that the facility reported to them that I was not in compliance. But I have a letter from them saying that my therapist and I mutually agree to end services.

My ex has filed a complaint with FOC about me not being in treatment so we have a show cause hearing coming up. Would that letter from the facility show that I was in fact in compliance and they just ended my services?

The show cause is also for my EX to show cause for denying visitation the weekend of July 5th. In the papers I got, it says that she responded that I had not taken my visitation in two months prior to that and I only let her know the day of pick up that I would be exercising my time. I have documentation that I had taken visitation regularly during that time and that I contacted her 3 days before the pick up date and stated that I would be exercising my time. But my question is, how did she respond? I filled a complaint the Monday after denial and this is the first I'm hearing of it. But she filled a complaint as well, and I did not get a chance to respond. I didn't know they let you respond. I've never been at risk of being in contempt before.
Nope. The letter is hearsay and inadmissible. And you can mutually agree to end services but that doesn't mean you don't NEED services. A therapist cannot forcibly treat you if you are not a danger to yourself or others. That doesn't mean you are in compliance with the court order. And how many threads are you going to start?

Nope. The letter is hearsay and inadmissible. And you can mutually agree to end services but that doesn't mean you don't NEED services. A therapist cannot forcibly treat you if you are not a danger to yourself or others. That doesn't mean you are in compliance with the court order. And how many threads are you going to start?
I have a lot of separate questions. Sorry.

Can I go to the facility and ask them for the documentation that they faxed to FOC that "says" that I am not in compliance?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Can I go to the facility and ask them for the documentation that they faxed to FOC that "says" that I am not in compliance?
You can SUBPOENA the therapist who stated you did not need therapy any longer and therefore have fully complied with the court order. Oh but that is not what the therapist stated, now is it?

LdiJ

I don't see why you couldn't.

However, this thread certainly puts the situation in your other threads in a somewhat different light.

If a doctor releases you from therapy that means that you do not need therapy any longer, in that doctor's opinion.

If you and a doctor mutually agree to stop therapy with that doctor, that means that you probably still need therapy, but that doctor feels unable to help you.

In the former you are in compliance, in the latter you are not unless you are seeing a new therapist.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't see why you couldn't.

However, this thread certainly puts the situation in your other threads in a somewhat different light.

If a doctor releases you from therapy that means that you do not need therapy any longer, in that doctor's opinion.

If you and a doctor mutually agree to stop therapy with that doctor, that means that you probably still need therapy, but that doctor feels unable to help you.

In the former you are in compliance, in the latter you are not unless you are seeing a new therapist.
The documentation still is not admissible. It is still hearsay quite frankly and doesn't prove anything. I do agree with the rest of your post.

You can SUBPOENA the therapist who stated you did not need therapy any longer and therefore have fully complied with the court order. Oh but that is not what the therapist stated, now is it?
I realize that the chance of this being a case of contempt is high. I guess I just wasn't thinking it through when I ended my services. And to kind of retract an earlier statement, the guy was not my therapist, he is a case worker. I was never seeing a psychologist or a therapist. I just showed up there once a week and he asked if I needed anything, I said no, I left. It was initially him who asked to end my services.

I don't know. It's very confusing. I don't really know why I went to this facility in the first place.

It was recommended to me by and ER doctor when I was rushed in via ambulance after suffering an anxiety attack at my mothers house and passed out in the bathroom. I wasn't ever on medication, never saw a doctor or therapist. I just went and hung out with a case worker once a week. When my ex found out I was going to this place, she tried to use it against me to keep me from getting visitation. Saying "he's unstable and mentally ill and cant take care of my son. I ask the courts to deny parental rights at this time." So they put it in there that I had to comply with the facility.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I realize that the chance of this being a case of contempt is high. I guess I just wasn't thinking it through when I ended my services. And to kind of retract an earlier statement, the guy was not my therapist, he is a case worker. I was never seeing a psychologist or a therapist. I just showed up there once a week and he asked if I needed anything, I said no, I left. It was initially him who asked to end my services.
Then you haven't been in therapy. Hence, contempt.

Silverplum

I don't know. It's very confusing. I don't really know why I went to this facility in the first place.

It was recommended to me by and ER doctor when I was rushed in via ambulance after suffering an anxiety attack at my mothers house and passed out in the bathroom. I wasn't ever on medication, never saw a doctor or therapist. I just went and hung out with a case worker once a week. When my ex found out I was going to this place, she tried to use it against me to keep me from getting visitation. Saying "he's unstable and mentally ill and cant take care of my son. I ask the courts to deny parental rights at this time." So they put it in there that I had to comply with the facility.
Did you just allow her to say whatever she wanted in court, and agree to it? You need an attorney.

Did you just allow her to say whatever she wanted in court, and agree to it? You need an attorney.
She didn't say it in court she wrote it in a letter along with her objection to the mediators recommendations for parenting time.

In fact, my mental health was never discussed in court, or mediation, by myself, my ex, or the judge. I knew she wrote that in the objection letter, but nothing else was said about it until I got the copy of the court order in the mail.

Last edited:

Silverplum

She didn't say it in court she wrote it in a letter along with her objection to the mediators recommendations for parenting time.
Okay.

My overall *point*, however, is that you need to object to her statements in a manner that benefits you getting time with your children.

Okay.

My overall *point*, however, is that you need to object to her statements in a manner that benefits you getting time with your children.
How should I have gone about that when this happened? Could I have objected to her objection? Should I have brought it up in court as not being any of her business? She has been in mental health services for years and has taken medication diagnosed usually for bipolar disorder. But I felt like if I brought that up it would seem like I am playing her game and just trying to win. I didn't say anything negatively about her during the entire process and now I think I should have brought a lot of it to the judge's attention.

This was almost a year ago when she wrote that. And only a few months after that that it was placed in the court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">