• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to know rights towards my unborn daughter.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

millerjames

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am 7 months pregnant. The father of my baby left me month ago, he refuses to ever contact me about the baby, and he never answers my texts or call, and they are always about our child. His mother has threatened me and said i better have money because they are going to take me to court for custody. He spends his time partying, drinking and doing drugs aldo he degrades women all over his social media site, which he has blocked me on. Im to the point where i refuse to give my baby his last name or even list him on her birth certificate, i dont even want him to come to the hospital. I need to know my rights. Im terrified that even though he hasnt shown any effort that he will be able to take my child, even the thought of joint custody freaks me out. Please suggest me best family attorney who can help me.

There is no child until birth. Even after your daughter is born, dad would have to file for paternity and take a DNA test. Until this happens, he is legally nothing to your daughter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
By the time the guy gets everything done in court, there will already have a good case for "status quo". There is very little chance that the guy will be able to swoop in and take the baby away.

You don't have to put his name on the birth certificate, nor do you have to name the child anything other than what you want to. Stop worrying so much about this and start focusing on you and the baby.

One piece of personal advice...don't even look at his Facebook account (you wouldn't know you were blocked if you hadn't attempted to look already.)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I am 7 months pregnant. The father of my baby left me month ago, he refuses to ever contact me about the baby, and he never answers my texts or call, and they are always about our child. His mother has threatened me and said i better have money because they are going to take me to court for custody. He spends his time partying, drinking and doing drugs aldo he degrades women all over his social media site, which he has blocked me on. Im to the point where i refuse to give my baby his last name or even list him on her birth certificate, i dont even want him to come to the hospital. I need to know my rights. Im terrified that even though he hasnt shown any effort that he will be able to take my child, even the thought of joint custody freaks me out. Please suggest me best family attorney who can help me.
You have sole custody until he takes you to court and then he stands equal with you. He CAN get joint legal custody if NOT also join physical custody. We do not make referrals to family law attorneys. If you want nothing to do with them after the birth of the child then what you have to do is abort in order to prevent his rights. He has a right to ask for joint custody. You can decide to not give your baby his last name and he can sue you for that right. And he may very well get that if he is proven to be the biological father. YOU CHOSE this man as the father.

Of course, if you are getting Medicaid or state benefits, the STATE will pursue him immediately upon birth.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
By the time the guy gets everything done in court, there will already have a good case for "status quo". There is very little chance that the guy will be able to swoop in and take the baby away.

You don't have to put his name on the birth certificate, nor do you have to name the child anything other than what you want to. Stop worrying so much about this and start focusing on you and the baby.

One piece of personal advice...don't even look at his Facebook account (you wouldn't know you were blocked if you hadn't attempted to look already.)
I've won the case where dad wants custody. Status quo matters not initially.

Just Blue

You have sole custody until he takes you to court and then he stands equal with you. He CAN get joint legal custody if NOT also join physical custody. We do not make referrals to family law attorneys. If you want nothing to do with them after the birth of the child then what you have to do is abort in order to prevent his rights. He has a right to ask for joint custody. You can decide to not give your baby his last name and he can sue you for that right. And he may very well get that if he is proven to be the biological father. YOU CHOSE this man as the father.

Of course, if you are getting Medicaid or state benefits, the STATE will pursue him immediately upon birth.
I doubt she can abort at 7 months.

CourtClerk

or even list him on her birth certificate
You don't have to worry about that. You can't list a man on the birth certificate without him acknowledging paternity. He has to sign a document basically giving permission to put his name on the birth certificate. So as it stands, your child's father is --------- which is what your daughter has to look forward to when she sees her birth certificate. Never knowing where she came from

Eekamouse

Uh huh, just like I'm sure you did too when you two were together. I do hope the drugs and drinking stopped on your part the minute you discovered you were pregnant. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">