+ Reply to Thread
    childessmommy is offline Junior Member

Unhappy I was never served papers notifying me of a custody hearing?? What can I do?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My child's father and I were never married, we went to mediation, that did not work and the case was to go before a judge in Wake County, I was never notified of the hearing by the courts. My ex told me there was a hearing, I searched the court calendars online and found nothing, I was never served with anything so I took it that he was trying to scare me into signing a custody agreement that granted him primary custody, which he has tried to do before. Now I find out the judge made his ruling (by calling the court house) and still have not received anything from the courts. Her paternal grandmother and father are alienating me from my child she doesn't talk to me, doesn't listen or respect me. I supported her 6 years with out child support, provided shelter, food, clothing, fun,health insurance. She is with her paternal grandmother more than she spends time with her father, and 95% more than me. Her father was abusive to me in our relationship and his mother is the one that is raising child not myself or him. What can I do?? This hurts so bad please help!!

Trying to reclaim what was stolen
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by childessmommy View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My child's father and I were never married, we went to mediation, that did not work and the case was to go before a judge in Wake County, I was never notified of the hearing by the courts. My ex told me there was a hearing, I searched the court calendars online and found nothing, I was never served with anything so I took it that he was trying to scare me into signing a custody agreement that granted him primary custody, which he has tried to do before. Now I find out the judge made his ruling (by calling the court house) and still have not received anything from the courts. Her paternal grandmother and father are alienating me from my child she doesn't talk to me, doesn't listen or respect me. I supported her 6 years with out child support, provided shelter, food, clothing, fun,health insurance. She is with her paternal grandmother more than she spends time with her father, and 95% more than me. Her father was abusive to me in our relationship and his mother is the one that is raising child not myself or him. What can I do?? This hurts so bad please help!!

Trying to reclaim what was stolen
    You go down to the courthouse and take a look at the file. If there were orders made, then you file a motion to vacate the orders based on the fact that you were never notified of the hearing.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    How did you know to attend mediation? Did you move during the case?
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    You go down to the courthouse and take a look at the file. If there were orders made, then you file a motion to vacate the orders based on the fact that you were never notified of the hearing.
    What "fact"??